Sunday, September 13, 2015

By Unknown

Solstice Scents Autumn 2014: Looking Back.

When I started writing this, I was 1500 miles from home, out somewhere in South Dakota, in a rental SUV with Mr. J, bringing home a new dog to our little pack.

Meet Malakai
And here in the next couple of days, I’ll be moving in with that luscious head of red hair we’ve seen on this blog a time or two to await the arrival of her firstborn. It’s been a hectic couple of weeks, in which I didn’t get a chance to try new products to review for you.

But we ran into a bit of luck. Part of our trip was that we went back to see our families. My amazing Momma cleans out her closets when I’m home and gives me a bunch of clothes, so that I can start dressing like a “real person” and stop spending all of my days in sweatpants and printed t-shirts. While I was rummaging through her things, I found a jar of Solstice Scent’s Wail of the Banshee whipped soap! Oh man. I was so excited. Solstice Scents has easily been one of my standouts in favorite indie companies from the past year. And I have been missing it! I haven’t had soap from them since winter! I've been way into withdrawal.

Before I fall down that trail of looking back at Solstice Scents' Autumn favorites, I’m going to need to do a shout out here. We all love our mothers and think they’re amazing, and I am no exception. My momma is a most excellent woman. Since I left the Midwest, I’ve gotten a Halloween box every year, which always contains a new mug, some ornaments for my Christmas tree, something fun and different, and brine for my Thanksgiving turkey. It’s one of my favorite things about October. And that’s the tip of the iceberg. She is a most excellent woman with an amazing sense of style, which she happily shares with me because I can mix colors but I’m useless with cuts and fabrics and all of that.

And because of her, I have a jar of Wail of the Banshee whipped soap again. Let's go back and look at both Wail of the Banshee and the Gehenna in Body Ganache a year later while we're waiting for their Autumn 2015. Here is my original review.

Wail of the Banshee Whipped Soap

I still don’t know what this is supposed to smell like. But I still love it. The scent is a little softer, but it is still an ozone-rich, slightly wooded scent that just makes me so dang happy to smell. The soap is a little denser, think like micro-measure denser. It doesn’t fizz like it did last year when I stuck my fingers in my first jar, but it is still easily one of the lightest whipped soaps I have ever used.

Kristin told me that she had read about people using this soap as shampoo and my response at the time was, “Hey, that’s great, but I just dropped almost $200 on my hair, so I’ll let other people try that.” I can be a bitch at times. But now I have this jar of soap again just begging to be used, and I use soap as shampoo all the time now anyway. This cleans as well as Future Prim’s whipped soap. At its first use, just like with FP, it left my hair with a squeaky feeling that made it hard to even rub my fingers through. But after the first time, it settled into the usual clean hair feeling that comes before conditioning. I might be using this for a time while I wait Solstice’s Autumn drop, sparingly of course. It also made a great shaving cream for my crazy hairy legs. Can’t imagine going without again. ^.^

Gehenna Body Ganache

A couple of months ago, I reorganized my lotions to give me more space for the stuff that has to actually be used in the bathroom- soaps, scrubs, and bath goodies. I got as far as moving my lotions out. But I came back across Gehenna because of it. I haven’t used it on my legs recently, so I can’t tell you if it’s still flaking. Actually just wait like 20 seconds- I’ll use it after I shave today.

[elevator music plays]

It has been used to distinctly less trial and error than previously reported. My skin was ridiculously dry after all that traveling and sucked the lotion up like an oasis in the desert. There was no flaking this time, and the scent has melded with the cocoa butter much better by now to create a rich, incense-esque scent that is mingling with the cocoa butter. Naturally, I topped all of this off with a little Manor perfume for a full-on SS experience, and it blended nicely into all of this.

Final Thoughts

Solstice Scents has been promising us an Autumn Part 1 release at the end of this month, and I can’t even tell you how excited I am to get my hands on their new products. If you hear about it before we do, let us know! We’re well on our way to drooling already.

0 comments:

Post a Comment