Tuesday, September 1, 2015

By Unknown
Deconstructing Eden Snow White perfume review
Is Snow White the fairest perfume of them all?

About six months ago in the dreary depths of the worst winter New England has seen in hundreds of years, I placed an order with Deconstructing Eden for several sample spray perfumes. I had a lovely time reviewing the company itself and enjoyed pouring through the catalog. It was a very different experience from my oil-based indies, and I enjoyed it!

Then I promptly forgot all about these perfume sprays because I accidentally packed away my sample bag with a bunch of winter sweaters. How that happened I'm not sure. So here we are in August and everything has sat in the dark for six-ish months, and I decided to reach for one I remember enjoying initially - Snow White.

Snow White

2.5mL sample spray for $2.75
Aged: 6 months

Inspired by the Grimm Brothers' version of this story, "hair as dark as ebony, skin as white as snow and lips as red as blood". Snow White is a beautiful blend and has quickly become one of my most favorite. Pale white skin is captured with clean, white musks. roses and a poisoned red apple for her blood red lips, ebony wood for her ebony hair and a touch of forest in tribute to the woods where she lived with the dwarves.
So let's go through the supposed fragrances this perfume allegedly contains:
  • Clean, white musks
  • Roses
  • Red Apples
  • Wood
  • "Touch of forest"

That seems like a tall order. Does it deliver?

Ehhhh.

When I review scents I try to approach them from a couple of different angles.
  1. Do I like how it smells?
  2. Does it smell as described?
A lot of times a fragrance might only hit one of those two criteria (which doesn't necessarily make it a bad fragrance). In the case of Snow White, I like it, but does it align with the notes described? Not really.

Snow White smells young, feminine and fresh out of the shower. Does that sound creepy? Maybe a tiny bit. This is a really youthful fragrance, just barely dancing along the line of too young. I honestly would not want to wear this scent if I was 5-10 years older, but seeing as how I haven't hit 30 yet I think it's okay. It's a "high-pitched" fragrance, super sweet and maybe with a hint of tang. It's more of a Granny Smith than a Red Delicious (and thank goodness, those are disgusting) mingling with clean skin musk.

Duration: I find the parfum sprays from Deconstructing Eden pack a big punch. Snow White carries me through the day without ever being overpowering or offensive. A few in my sampler pack were a bit much, but this one has a nice silage.

Score: 3/5
There are no roses and "touches" of forest. Snow White is a simplistically girly scent. But sometimes I want to smell like I'm having a chipper morning and just stepped out of the most fragrantly clean shower ever. This scent would make an excellent "pre-teen girl's first foray into perfumes" gift. As someone older, this might not fit the bill anymore. If you're looking for depth and complexity, you will be disappointed. Think of it as like a fluffy chick flick perfume, not War and Peace. I wouldn't invest in a full size, and I have a lot of other more interesting fragrances in my collection (Imp from Haus of Gloi comes to mind) that hit that youthful high note.

0 comments:

Post a Comment