Thursday, September 10, 2015

By Kristin


I've been on a quest for an excellent indie men's shaving soap as of late. A good friend of mine challenged me to help him find one and I quickly realized that whereas I know of many great indie soap companies that make shaving soaps for women, men's shaving soap is an entirely different animal.

Red Leaf Bath and Body was one of the first shops that I came across and I was immediately pulled to their crisp and professional labeling. And they're local to me! Even better.


Packaging: 

My items came in a padded priority mail envelope. Bath dough minis were additionally padded in bubble wrap and wrapped in a paper slip with instructions for use. Bar soaps were plastic wrapped but the shower gel and bath dough were unsealed. This isn't a big deal to me but just thought I'd mention it for those who might be. 

Labels are plastic and water-proof - always a good idea for products meant to be in wet environments.

And then the branding. Everything is crisp and clean. Attention grabbing but not distracting. I'm not a graphic designer but there's something really satisfying about how the labeling is designed.

Selection: 

Red Leaf offers various types of bar soap - shaving soaps and non-specifically-meant-for-shaving soaps, shampoo bars, exfoliating scrub bars, shower gels, bubble bath dough, an interesting bath sponge already soaked in a glycerin soap, air freshener sprays, and a few skin care products - a face lotion, aftershave spray, and aftershave lotion.

Scent-wise, most products come in 14 different scents (you can find the list here) but some products - the ones meant for men - have a list of 15 other scents with some overlap between lists. The second list can be found here. It's a little confusing when trying to put together a product list, especially since the scent lists are images instead of text to copy/paste from but just something to keep in mind if you see a scent that you like. 

Samples: 

I think you can get everything as a sample except for that pre-soaped loofa and perhaps the room sprays. Many samples come in both sample size and "travel" size which seems to mean that it comes in a special container.

I was a little overwhelmed with my order since I was just ordering samples so I emailed the owner and they kindly set up a personal listing for me.

Quality: 

So far I've tried the bar soaps and really enjoyed them. Everything seems consistent and has a professional feel. I'm putting together a more detailed review of the products so keep an eye out for that!

Cost:

Very reasonable. Soap samples are $2.99. Bath dough samples are $4.50. Full size products vary across the board but are on par with some of the more popular indie bath and body companies.

Customer Service: 

I emailed the owner a couple times back and forth and they responded quickly on each occasion and were very accommodating to requests. Since they're local to me, I asked if there would be any way that I could pick up my order to save on the shipping cost. The owner said that they were too busy to arrange a meeting but shipped local orders free for that reason! Really excellent!

TAT: 

There isn't a stated TAT but it was 15 days between my initial order and the package being in my hands.

Shipping: 

As I mentioned above, the owner shipped my package for free so I really can't complain about the cost there.

On their Etsy shop, shipping starts at $1.85 in the US and seems to be driven by weight as opposed to per item.

They do mention in their policies section:
I ship via U.S.P.S. without insurance unless specifically requested. I will use Priority mail for larger packages (over 13 Oz's) or Flat Rate boxes for heavier shipments. Flat Rate is the most cost effective way to ship a heavier package. I always get a delivery confirmation notice to help resolve a problem in the event that a package is mis-delivered. 

Personal Thoughts:

I've been pretty happy with my shopping experience here! For me, the bath product experience is both the formula and the scent and I've been happy with both so far. Red Leaf Bath and Body has both a standalone shop and an Etsy shop so you may want to consider playing around with both to see if there's a huge difference in the shipping cost.

Have you come across any men's shaving soaps that I should look into? This is a tough one; I could really use some help!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

0 comments:

Post a Comment