Sunday, September 27, 2015

By Unknown


Future Primitive 
Autumn 2015 Product Review

I really love Autumn. There’s nothing better than leaves, apples, pumpkins, hot foods, mulled cider, all of it is amazing. Halloween and Thanksgiving, Christmas on the horizon, and the smell of winter sneaking in late at night. Bonfires? Hayrides? Count me in. This all adds up to a lot of Autumn-scented purchases.

So I tried to be smart about this one and buy very little for Part 1 and then buy the things I loved in Part 2- a smart idea in theory, but not wonderful in action. So this review is going to be a bar of soap with a perfume sample in the same scent and then 3 perfume samples. We also received a sample soap that we’ll be talking about. I asked AG to try the perfume samples as well because my nose was having some major issues with them. So, her thoughts on these will be scattered throughout.

Kristin adds: Future Prim just announced a tentative release date of this Tuesday the 29th! From their Facebook page:
Hi all, we are probably looking at a release date of Tuesday 29th. I am making the final products now then I'll send a newsletter when I'm done. Thanks for your patience. I had a long wait for the product assessments to come through, but I got them just yesterday. Phew!
So, off we go!

Pumpkin ‘Ead
Bar Soap

Earthy, sun-warmed pumpkin flesh, dry cider apple & pear nectar finished with an Autumn spice syrup.
Holy amazing smell, Batman! I’m going to be honest- I got very little hints of pumpkin, apple, or pear, more apple than the others. This was like showering in mulling spices. It’s rich and heady, full of clove and nutmeg and hints of cinnamon. My only con is that Mr. J and I are killing this soap way too quickly. There’s probably half or less left, and we’ve had it for maybe 2 weeks. This is that soap that makes you want to shower and soap up, and soap up, and maybe soap up just one more time in case you missed something. I was very upset to find out that pretty much everyone else feels the same way about it, and Pumpkin ‘Ead sold out during the flash sale in moments. This is my sadness. If it comes back next year, I’m just buying all of it…immediately.

AG adds: I have a... complicated relationship with cinnamon notes. My skin will turn the barest hint of cinnamon up to 11, even if no cinnamon appears to be present in a scent's note list. So it wasn't hugely surprising that this scent turned into 95% spicy cinnamon on me with a touch of baked goods in the background. I also noted that the base had a fruitiness to it that actually reminded me of a number of Haus of Gloi foodie scents.

Shadow Show
Bar Soap

Blackened pomegranate juice, plum compote spiked with pink pepper, clove & cinnamon and the rising smoke of frankincense tears, patchouli leaf, sticky amber resin, tree moss & caramelised sugar.
I kept looking at the scent notes in the email I received, debating and debating. I’m glad it came as the sample. I bought something last fall that had pomegranate scented in it, and it made me nauseous. I had to shower to get the smell off. I also tend to avoid “sugar” scents because they often make everything just smell funky to me. I can’t swear that this is good as anything else, but as a soap? Oh man, it’s in my shower and smells really awesome. There’s this fruity sweetness that takes a masculine twist. The pomegranate isn’t as heady as previous ones I’ve smelled, and the spice gives it this twist that makes it an interesting a far different smell than what I’m used to where pomegranate scents are concerned, which are usually fruity and feminine. Definitely bought a full bar soap so I can enjoy to the fullest extent.


Owlett’s End
Perfume 

Simmering black tea, clary sage & coriander leaves, nutmeg dust & cinnamon sticks, sticky dark orange oil and blackened cardamom pods.
I’ve got nothing useful here for you, so this will be passed off to AG momentarily. There was something in this that was immediately offensive to me, and I considered throwing it off my balcony because obviously just washing it off was not enough.

AG adds: I had more luck with this scent than Jessye, fortunately! When wearing this perfume oil, I pictured lightly sweetened biscotti with flavors of orange, anise, and another herbal note I couldn't identify (possibly the clary sage?). As it wore down it became a bit sweeter and I noticed a deep baking spice emerge, though like the herbal note, I couldn't identify the exact component.

Coven
Perfume

A powerful group of 13 witches casting incantations on All Hallows Eve. Ritualistic smoke of black pepper oil, blood orange, frankincense tears, lavender flowers & patchouli oil casts a smokey haze in the centre of the circle helping to summon the spirits of their ancestors.
This was nice, if a little astringent as a perfume for me. It was a hair heavy on the patchouli on my skin, but Mr. J quite liked it and bought it as a whipped soap during the Flash Sale.

AG adds: The patchouli started off in the background, playing a supporting role to some minty and lightly herbal top notes. Unfortunately the scent faded somewhat and the top notes disappeared pretty quickly after application. It stopped fading shortly thereafter and left me with just the soft patchouli base.

Tombstone
Perfume

The inside of an ancient tomb. Droplets of resinous frankincense, cool white Egyptian burial cloth, dusty sandalwood sticks, cobweb silk, hints of aging citrus peel and a burlap pouch filled with cypress needles.
My notes also say that I said this was “nice.” I also added it was a little powdery. I had a lot of problems getting this to stay on my skin. I applied it twice, and it ran away rather quickly both times. I also noted that it would probably be quite nice something else where the scent could be pulled out a little more; it just would not stay on my skin long enough to give me any kind of indication of where it could go.

AG adds: I'm sorry to report this reminded me of a soft version of lemon furniture oil. It wasn't harsh or astringent, and it certainly wasn't unpleasant, but it's not the kind of scent I prefer to wear. Like Jessye, I noticed this one disappeared pretty quickly off my skin.

Final Thoughts

Pumpkin ‘Ead alone made the whole purchase worth it. But as always, Future Primitive released a solid collection with a little something for hopefully everyone. I can’t wait to see their Part 2 release with their shea butter scrubs and milk bath tea with limited edition scents specifically for the surprise treats.

0 comments:

Post a Comment