Wednesday, September 9, 2015

By AG
Hey everyone! Today is the first of three posts shining a spotlight on one of the very first things I purchased from Shiro Cosmetics, the Tributes Collection. You can check out part 2 and part 3 for the rest of the set. This collection is inspired by The Hunger Games and features an array of beautiful shimmery colors. Thanks so much to Kristin, who did all the swatches and photo collages!

I have a few quick notes to share before diving into the shadows. It's important to note that I bought this collection back in 2012 as a set of minis. Since then minis have been switched to different, clear-top jars with no stickers. It's also worth noting that if the Shiro team has changed their formula or upgraded their equipment since then, the shadows may perform differently if you were to buy them today. I've noticed that some of my older Shiro shadows feel a little grittier than the more recent ones, so it's possible the team have changed something up. So take my thoughts with a grain of salt!

We're splitting the collection into three posts. Let's take a look at the first four shadows!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shiro Cosmetics Tributes Collection Cornucopia

From the website: “Sixty seconds. That’s how long we’re required to stand on our metal circles before the sound of a gong releases us. Sixty seconds to take in the ring of tributes all equidistant from the Cornucopia, a giant golden horn shaped like a cone with a curved tail, the mouth of which is at least twenty feet high, spilling over with the things that will give us life here in the arena.”

Bright, bold yellow with strong golden shimmer. Lip-safe!

Ingredients: mica, carnauba wax, titanium dioxide, iron oxide, tin oxide, yellow #5.

Personal Comments: The yellows and golds in this collection remain some of my favorite Shiro shades to date. I don't get much of the gold shimmer in practice (you'll probably need a sticky base for the full effect) but the base color is pigmented and bold as advertised. I would probably call the finish lightly metallic.

Purchase Link

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shiro Cosmetics Tributes Collection Girl on Fire

From the website: “The pounding music, the cheers, the admiration work their way into my blood, and I can’t suppress my excitement. Cinna has given me a great advantage. No one will forget me. Not my look, not my name. Katniss. The girl who was on fire.”

Bright, hot, shimmery orange with golden sparks. Not lip-safe.

Ingredients: mica, carnauba wax, titanium dioxide, iron oxide, tin oxide, red #40, ultramarine blue, calcium aluminum borosilicate, silica.

Personal Comments: So the good news is, the base color on this one is stunning. You know how some eyeshadows look intense and pigmented in the jar but just don't live up to expectations on the eye? I don't have that problem here, though I will note it fades quite a bit when I blend it (not unusual and easily solved by packing more on, but worth mentioning). The bad news is, the fallout on this one is pretty nuts. The gold sparks in this shade wound up all over my cheeks and not at all on my eye, except for at the upper and lower bounds of my shadow placement. A sticky base would help with this, but if you're just using primer, I'd definitely suggest doing your base last. As noted above this problem may or may not have been corrected in the three years since I purchased this shade, so do let me know your thoughts if you've tried a more recent version of this!

Purchase Link

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shiro Cosmetics Tributes Collection Rebellion

From the website: “Yes, they have to have a victor. Without a victor, the whole thing would blow up in the Gamemakers’ faces. They’d have failed the Capitol. Might possibly even be executed, slowly and painfully while the cameras broadcast it to every screen in the country. If Peeta and I were both to die, or they thought we were…”

Deep blue-black with green and purple shimmer. Lip-safe!

Ingredients: mica, carnauba wax, titanium dioxide, iron oxide, tin oxide, blue #1, yellow #5.

Personal Comments: I've had mixed experiences with loose shadows this dark, but this one performs nicely. I don't find it to be too pigmented or too sheer for my tastes, it blends well without losing intensity, and there's surprisingly little fallout. Doing the eye look below reminded me I need to reach for this shade more often.

Purchase Link

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shiro Cosmetics Tributes Collection Star-Crossed

From the website: “‘He made you look desirable! And let’s face it, you can use all the help you can get in that department. You were about as romantic as dirt until he said he wanted you. Now they all do. You’re all they’re talking about. The star-crossed lovers from District Twelve!'”

Blackened coppery-brown. Lip-safe!

Ingredients: mica, carnauba wax, titanium dioxide, iron oxide, tin oxide.

Personal Comments: If you want something softer than black to use as a liner or to deepen your outer lid, this could be a good option. I will say it's pretty pigmented and blends out very enthusiastically, so I'd definitely recommend using a light hand and less than you think you need. As with Rebellion I'm surprised by how little fallout I get from this one. It's a solid performer.

Kristin adds: Here's another shot of Star-Crossed from a different angle. Slightly more of an antique gold shade than above.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did an eye look with the four shadows:



I started with Urban Decay Primer Potion and a base shadow in my skin tone. I used Girl on Fire on my lid, Cornucopia in my inner corner, and Star-Crossed then Rebellion to deepen the outer corner. I used all four colors along my lower lashline. I finished up with brow pencil, tightline, mascara, and a nude liner in my waterline.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stay tuned for the rest of the collection!

0 comments:

Post a Comment