Thursday, September 17, 2015

By Unknown

Vivid Lacquer Spaaaace!, 4 coats, no topcoat. Forgot to clean up around my nails before taking this picture, sorry.


Nothing to Disclose

It has always been my beauty dream to look like the night sky in as many ways as possible. The first higher-end makeup product I ever remember buying was a royal blue eyeliner from Hard Candy with silver glitter in it, back in the '90s when Hard Candy was a department store brand instead of something cheap sold at Wal-Mart. I was browsing at the Soap Box Company recently and came across a deep blue jelly with silver sparkles in it called Spaaaace!, from a company I'd never tried before called Vivid Lacquer, and had to have it! I think this particular color is sold out now, but I thought I'd do a writeup of Vivid Lacquer anyway for this Company Overview, in case you hadn't heard of them either and see another shade that strikes your fancy.

Packaging: 

My polish came in a standard clear glass bottle with a black cap and a round brush. I had no issues with the packaging--the brush was evenly cut, no shedding or splaying. The bottle is labeled with a clear sticker with a black cat and the name of the company--that sticker seems to be peeling away from the bottle a little, which I didn't like; there's a round opaque sticker on the bottom of the bottle with the shade name. There is no other labeling as far as ingredients or volume.

Selection: 

Although I got my polish from The Soap Box Company, Vivid Lacquer's main storefront seems to be their Etsy store. They have their own domain that isn't active yet.

They carry a selection of 3-free polishes that range from holos, glitters, and shimmers to this incredibly cool gray jelly packed with microglitter that reminds me of granite, or static.

The most interesting thing they carry, though, is their own custom line of stamping plates! They make all their designs themselves, apparently. I haven't tried these, because I have no patience for stamping, but have read good reviews. My favorites: KNITWEAR stamping plates with Fair Isle patterns! (be still, my beating heart! How perfect for fall/winter, right?) Cephalopods! Beautiful animal prints including photographic peacock feather textures and alligator!

Samples: 

No samples, as far as I know. 

Quality: 

I'm very pleased with my Spaaaace! polish, which is a glossy cobalt blue jelly with a sparse mixture of hex, round, and bar glitter in white, silver, and blues--it really does look like stars in the night sky, and dries fairly flat. It took four coats to get it to the opacity seen in my photo above (no topcoat), but the glitter is sparse enough that it looked fine with that many coats, and wasn't just jam-packed onto the nail. If I weren't taking a photo for review, I'd probably just start with a blue cream polish as a base layer.

Cost:

Costs seem pretty reasonable, particularly since all polishes seem to be on sale right now. Normally around $9 for 15 mL, now you can get them for around $5 each. Stamping plates are $8 each. This is expensive compared to something like Bundle Monster, but since these are custom designs, I don't think it's really comparable. 

Customer Service: 

I did not order from Vivid Lacquer directly, so I can't speak to this. 

TAT: 

I did not order from Vivid Lacquer directly, so I can't speak to this personally, but their shop front page promises a 24-hour turnaround time at the moment, while each product page has "Ready to ship in 1-2 weeks" on the shipping page. 

Shipping: 

International shipping seems to be available and starts around $9.50. For the US, shipping seems to start around $3.00, which is very reasonable.

Personal Thoughts:

I haven't explored the world of indie nail polishes as much as I'd like to, but every foray I've made into the indie lacquer world has been very positive so far. I am still lusting after Essie Starry Starry Night (or Llarowe's dupe, which I'll probably order one of these days) to help fulfill all my night sky nail polish dreams, but Spaaaace! is helping scratch the itch very nicely for now.

Have you tried Vivid Lacquer's polishes or stamping plates? What's your favorite indie polish? Do you have any suggestions for other starry blue polishes to check out?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

0 comments:

Post a Comment