Saturday, February 21, 2015

By Unknown
"May you sleep tonight cradled in the paroxysms of a million galaxies."
According to wikipedia, a coma cluster is a collection of over 1,000 identified galaxies. You don't have to be an astronomy buff to admire the sheer scope and size of something like a coma cluster - just reading about something like this leaves me feeling very small and humbled!

Initially I read "coma cluster" and thought it meant a cluster of comas (which sounds like a very unlucky health condition) and having nothing to do with space. Granted I've been feeling kind of comatose myself lately between the massive amounts of snow hitting the Boston area and the flu, and for me Darling Clandestine's solid perfume Coma Cluster was a tremendously welcome breath of fresh air amidst all the doom and gloom of New England's seemingly endless winter.

Coma Cluster

Regular size: 1/4oz tin for $12.00
Coma Cluster is an all-botanical natural fragrance featuring classics like dark sweet coffee oil and cocoa absolutes, delicate essence of orange blossom, and an oh-my-you-have-got-to-be-kidding-me dynamite Bulgarian rose otto. Hugs close to the skin all night, all night.
I was a little hesitant about grabbing Coma Cluster for a few reasons - one is that I do not typically use solid perfumes, and secondly I often have trouble with rose fragrances becoming too soapy and domineering on my skin. However, between the insane mad dash surrounding Darling Clandestine's Valentine's Day release (wherein almost everything sold out within minutes!) and the gorgeous unique wax seals atop each tin lid, I knew I wanted it to be mine, and it is a purchase I do not regret in the least!

I absolutely love the Darling Clandestine seal with the tiny sharks!

I was so pleased that my tin of Coma Cluster had the golden colored wax seal--of all the colors offered, this one appeared the most stunning to me, it's like Evonne read my mind! However, I am not sure if it's the seal or the lid itself, but I have a tricky time actually opening the tin. The solid perfume is stuffed to the brim, maybe even a bit too high as the oils leak out a bit if you are not careful. There are some lovely little flecks of something mixed in as well... this solid definitely has character.

So how's the fragrance itself? It's as nuanced and full of character as its appearance! The opening notes are rich and chocolatey, I can pick up the coffee and cocoa immediately, it comes across as almost a gourmand blend. However, these evaporate VERY quickly, which I find a bit odd given my past experiences with cocoa and coffee-based fragrances. It softens into a dark but creamy rose floral. This is a sexy, grown-up rose dusted with a bit of cocoa powder. I'm not sure why but something about Coma Cluster seems very familiar, somehow.

Coma Cluster doesn't look like a traditional solid perfume.

Duration: This is not one of Darling Clandestine's powerhouse fragrances, but it's not a pushover either. The description is pretty accurate in that it hugs close to the skin all night (or day, your choice). It comes on a bit strong for the first half an hour of wear but turns into something snuggly and close.

Score: 5/5
Coma Cluster is a manifestation of my ideal Valentine's Day date. An affectionate wallop of chocolately goodness followed by an offering of flowers and rounded out with ample, long-lasting snuggles and cuddles. Coma Cluster is a beautiful and complex, feminine blend that would work well for work or play - I even wear a bit before bed because I find it very comforting. While this iteration of Coma Cluster sold out very quickly, keep your eyes peeled and be sure to try it for yourself if Evonne ever brings it back in stock!


0 comments:

Post a Comment