Friday, February 27, 2015

By AG
Hey everyone! Today I'd like to share my swatches and first impressions of Bewitching Hour semi-matte lipstick, which I recently purchased from Limnit Lipsticks. If you're not familiar with this indie lipstick brand, you can check out our Company Overview of them right here.

Disclosure notes: The OCC Lip Tar clamshell was a free sample from Sephora. I purchased everything else shown in this post.

I recently picked up a sample pot of Bewitching Hour, the official description for which is "a captivating midnight blue," as part of my ongoing exploration of dark blue lipstick. I'm already a fan of Limnit's great semi-matte formula, so I had high hopes for this shade. Here's the swatch, with both arm and lip swatches done over bare skin. Please note I edited the lip swatch photo for color accuracy:

Swatches of Bewitching Hour by Limnit Lipsticks over bare skin. Lip swatch photo was edited for color accuracy.

The good: The formula on Bewitching Hour is just as good as most of my other Limnit colors (my only troublesome one is Petal to the Metal). It builds up pretty easily with a lip brush, feels comfortable on, doesn't gather in lip lines, and doesn't make my lips look dry or wrinkly (well, no moreso than usual). It's also surprisingly easy to clean up when I inevitably draw outside my lip lines. Overall, it's a solid product!

The bad: This is entirely personal preference, but I was disappointed by the color. I think a lot of the swatches online made me think it was brighter than it actually is, so I was bummed to apply it and find it had more cool gray tones than I expected. I had to edit my own lip swatch to get it right, so I suspect this is just a tough color to photograph. Major points to Limnit, though, because the swatches on the Bewitching Hour listing look pretty accurate! Regardless, I didn't think it was flattering against my warm skin tone, and it didn't quite have the punchiness I've been searching for in a navy blue lipstick.

Blogger Crimson and Clovher just posted a great interview with Limnit owner Trina which explains Bewitching Hour's slightly toned down color. Trina explains that her lipsticks are subtly muted in order to make the unusual colors more wearable than you'd expect. That's a really clever and thoughtful approach! Personally though, if I'm gonna wear blue lipstick, I'd rather go all-out and wear the boldest navy I can find.

I put Bewitching Hour up against my other medium and dark blue shades (most of which are discontinued or unavailable, sorry!) for comparison. From top to bottom we have: OCC Lip Tar in Technopagan, Little Sparrow Lip Jelly in Blueberry (currently unavailable), Shiro tinted balm in Nightshade (discontinued), Shiro Intertube in Robe & Wizard Hat (discontinued), Limnit Bewitching Hour.

From top to bottom, all over bare skin: OCC Technopagan, Little Sparrow Blueberry, Shiro Nightshade, Shiro Robe & Wizard Hat, Limnit Bewitching Hour

Side note - both Technopagan and Bewitching Hour stained my arm like a beast and survived multiple rounds of mineral oil and soap. I only noticed some mild discoloration on my lips after removing Bewitching Hour (and no insta-stain when I fudged my lip line, woohoo!), but it's something to keep in mind if staining makes you crazy.

Bewitching Hour appears to be out of stock as of writing this review, but it should be back in the Limnit Lipsticks Etsy shop very soon. In fact, I think most of the shop's stock just got cleared out to make way for a new formula, so it should be well worth checking out.

Have you tried any lipsticks from Limnit? Are there any indie navy blue lip colors I should make sure to scope out?

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

0 comments:

Post a Comment