Sunday, February 22, 2015

By Unknown


Fortune Cookie Soap Box Spring 2015 Box 
“Wonderland” 

When I reviewed the last FCS Soap Box, I receive a comment that I should consider no longer reviewing FCS' products. It was harsh and confrontational, and honestly, I agreed with them. They were one of the first companies I had discovered in the indie world, but I did not enjoy the Christmas box at all. It was an all-around unhappy consideration. I talked to a couple of people about it because I was worried I was folding, but maybe this person was right and I just didn't like the scents of this company anymore. It would be a disservice to both them and I if I continued reviewing a company I no longer enjoyed. And then I saw the theme of the Spring Box.


The box is based on Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. I love Alice in Wonderland. I own a scarf and fingerless gloves printed with text and illustrations from the book and  I've had my copy of the book. I could nerd out more, but I won't bore you with the details. I love Tim Burton. I adore Corpse Bride, and I found Alice charming in its unique way, but Big Fish is probably my favorite. I love his use of color, and the way he's capable of bringing the absurd to the table in a way that feels natural and organic.

So I held out. How could I, a lover of these things, pass up on something that will, if nothing else, make me laugh? I am soooooooooooo glad I did. They introduced two new products I had not seen before, and I loved the box. I only parted with one item and kept everything else for myself. I've been planning a shopping list since the box came to my house, smelling like green and spring and happiness.

So let's get to those amazing products! (The scent notes may be shorter than usual. I have been having problems picking out single notes recently and have on occasion, smelled something entirely different than what was actually in a product.)



“Almost Alice” 
Fortune Cookie Soap
Fresh green snap peas and juicy pears brighten this bouquet of sweet pea flowers, and freesia, sprinkle with ripe berries.
This soap smells very much of freesia, and the blue coloring works great with that. It has that fresh scented laundry smell that smells like happiness and fluffy towels.


“Twisted Tea Party” 
Bath Tea
A light, refreshing, green tea with notes of sweet herbs, vanilla bean, cucumber, golden amber, and hints of neroli and geranium, stirred with a bright sprig of spearmint.
This smelled so good dry! It smelled fruity and unique, with the green tea drying the scent out just enough to make it complex. I spent a couple of days sniffing the tea bag before I used it. When I used it, I just couldn't get enough scent out of it to smell it in the bath. I even ripped open the bag and let it all float around in the bath. I imagine for those that are scent sensitive, this would be perfect.


“Who Are You” 
Incense Cone
A mysterious mixture of crisp, ripe, pear twisted with tart limes, vanilla orchid, and a dash of raw cane sugar.
This is a “green” scent. That's such a weird phrase for me. A “green” scent. What is a “green” scent? I would characterize it as grass, and spring plants that aren't flowers.

This has an amazing green smell. And it burned so beautifully. Look at that picture of the smoke! I used to burn incense almost daily. One of my dogs is a delicate flower though, who will inhale the smoke and then throw up. So it was exciting to get to use incense again. The cone I used had about 15-20 minutes of burn time, which is normal. The smell of the smoke mixed with the incense was interesting. I was not a huge fan of the mix of the smoke and the scent, but for either their first endeavor into incense or a rare occurrence into making incense, this worked beautifully. It's rare to see such beautifully burning incense.


“It's Only a Dream” 
Whipped Cream
Calming verbena, lemongrass, calla lily, and citrus blended with leafy greens, ylang-ylang, rosewood, and ozone; with hints of soft musk and roses.
For the first time since I've joined Soap Box, there was not a random scent product. Yay for getting all the smells! I still have the problem with this lotion wherein I rub it into my skin too much and it starts to rub off my skin. That being said, this is the only lotion I've used since I got it. (I might be ignoring a couple of lotions I bought for review, but meh!) It smells amazing! It smells like lemongrass and citrus brought down by floral with just a hint of something dry. I will definitely be buying something else in this scent. I adore it!


“Off With Their Heads!” 
Bath Bomb
Groves of Meyer lemons and succulent oranges mingle with a perfectly manicured garden of wild roses, violets, and star jasmine perfumed with romantic tones of bergamot and Egyptian musk.
This was a delicious fruity and floral scent. It was balanced well. Despite its small size, it packed quite a punch. Just a few petals floated around in the bath that easily went down the drain when I was done. If you are worried about the rose scent, it didn't become apparent until the last moments of my 45-minute bath, taking an innocent scent into a mature aroma.


“Futterwacken” 
Body Wash
Sun warmed lilies brightened with a splash of grapefruit and a breath of fresh air.
This smells exactly like a melon drink I had as a child, complete with even the tang at the back of my throat. I have no idea how else to describe this. I will definitely use through this bottle. I had problems getting it to transfer from a wash cloth to my skin, but had no problems with either a loofah or my hands.


“Eat Me” 
Perfume Oil
Scrumptious yellow cake with a fresh slathering of rich, creamy vanilla frosting, topped with fresh white pineapple slices and garnished with a sprig of blooming cilantro.
It's cake. It smells like cake. I can't smell anything but the cake. I am hoping that they will bring out a bath bomb or bubble bar in this scent that I can sneak into my order for Kristin. (Editor's Note: ಠ_ಠ) This is also the thing I passed on. It is great for a gourmand lover. I just can't stand smelling like baked goods, in any variation.

Sparkly
“We're All Mad Here” 
OCD Hand Sanitizer
Playful mint waters and natural leafy green notes perform a masterful balancing act with musky rich cedarwood.
This might be one of my favorite quotes in the world, but that could be because it holds sentimental value for me. When I was in college, one of my class assignments was to choreograph a dance piece to a piece of artwork in our art museum. At the time they had a single artist display, who did a collection based on Alice in Wonderland The piece I chose was Alice holding the Cheshire, entitled, “We're All Mad Here.” It was the most positive feedback I had ever received on a piece, and to this day, my professors don't know I made up the whole damn thing on the spot, except for one move.

Even for a hand sanitizer, I loved it. It's a mellow green scent, floating more on the “clean” side than the “green” side. This smells like new beginnings to me.



Final Thoughts: This was a fantastic box, and I can't wait for the release party to spend way too much money on way more products than I need!

The release party starts on their Facebook page on February 7th at 6:30 pm CST!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

0 comments:

Post a Comment