Tuesday, February 3, 2015

By Unknown
Possets Hyde Park perfume review
Hyde Park claims to be very classy, very chic - but does it live up to the hype?

I waste a lot of time when I review perfumes complaining about finding my mythical perfume unicorn - something that smells ladylike and grownup to combat the dreaded Babyface Syndrome. I shouldn't complain, I've found loads of wonderful ladylike fragrances! But I'm always on the quest for whatever my next favorite might be.

I recently placed an order with Possets for a full size of one of those current favorites (Massachusetts!) and waffled for a bit on whether or not to toss a few samples into my cart as well. Eventually I decided I couldn't be bothered (I was too lazy to pick out enough to fill the sample pack requirements since you can't buy individual samples from Possets) and just grabbed my full size bottle. However, one of the samples I almost purchased wound up as a freebie in my package anyway... it's like Fabienne was reading my mind! That fragrance in question is none other than Hyde Park.

Hyde Park
Regular size: 5mL bottle for $12.50
A supremely classic scent yet quintessentially modern. Green tea weaves its way through a blend of traditional essences. Very long lasting, impeccably correct any time, anywhere. Hyde Park inspires envy and admiration. It instantly presents you as someone to take notice of, but it's never aggressive or unladylike. One of the very few perfumes which you could truly wear for daytime or night. Very classy, very chic. Cincinnati.Characteristics: dry, sophisticated, long lasting, unisex, cooling, summer scent.
I've never been to Cincinnati, but when a perfume description says, "very classy, very chic" in bold letters, that's gotta mean something, right?

I love green tea. I drink matcha every day. This doesn't smell very green-tea-esque to me, although I think macha and sencha are grassier greens. Initially I hated Hyde Park because the wet-green opening notes reminded me of mildew, but after several wears my opinion has changed. This is more of a light, white-green tea (maybe snowbuds?), a bit wet and cool. Mingled within is a muffled citrusy-almost-sweet tang. It kind of reminds me of peach water, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Duration: Fresh, clean and light, Hyde Park dries down after only a few hours of wear. I can still pick it up on my wrists, but it clings closely and is not a trailing fragrance at all. Drydown on my skin is sweetly clean, faintly floral and maybe even with a kiss of sweet wood. It's that sort of soft sweetness from a warm wooden bench in the park under the sun, soft and worn from years of use. So while Hyde Park may be a bit short-lived, it's refreshing and quiet.

Score: 3.5/5

I do really enjoy Hyde Park, but I think perhaps it's a teeny bit too grown up for me. It doesn't have quite what I was looking for in terms of balancing youth with sophistication. Nonetheless, it's a clean, soft, elegant scent that had me smelling like I was several notches above my income bracket. Between that and the lack of a a peppy youthful touch, I felt like I was an imposter! Maybe in a few years I will revisit Hyde Park, but in the meantime it's not quite as well-loved as Fascinator, Starlight or Massachusetts.

0 comments:

Post a Comment