Tuesday, February 10, 2015

By Unknown



I see a lot of heavy-duty geekery in the indie perfume world. (cf: the hilarious Pander Cosmetics post I found through /r/muacirclejerk!) I don't actually see a lot of people discussing ZOMG Smells, but alongside Shiro, they are by far one of the nerdiest brands I've seen in the indie beautyverse (as you might gather from their name). I've never placed an order with them, but I've received some of their samples in swaps; today I'm reviewing the delightfully named Baby Unicorn Birthday Party! (The ZOMG catalog also includes a Baby Gorgon Birthday Party and a Giant Robot Birthday Party)

Price: $24 for an 8 mL bottle, $15.50 for a 5 mL bottle, $5.50 for a 2 mL bottle. 
Samples: 1 mL samples are available for $3.25.
Description from the website: "What's the only thing better than your very own unicorn? Your very own BABY unicorn. And what's better than just one baby unicorn? A whole bunch of them-- with cake! This is the sweetest, softest, frilliest, most innocent perfume we could dream up.

White musk, white cake, white frosting, white sugar, fluffy pink and purple roses, and a special pom-pom party hat accord."

The first thing that struck me about this scent when putting it on was that this is a much lighter scent than I'm used to. I don't know if I'm noseblind to something in the perfume, or I'm used to other indie perfume lines that punch you in the nose with sillage, but I felt like I could barely smell it when I dabbed it on. I had to apply quite a lot more perfume than I'm used to.

From the name of the perfume, I was expecting a huge pile of sweet cupcakes and frosting, but the main notes I smell in this are actually a clean, soft white musk and a light rose note. There is a little bit of a vanilla cake note buried beneath the roses, and a general sweet feeling to the scent, but I do feel like the baby unicorns might be disappointed by the overall lack of cake at their party. It comes across like a rose-scented baby powder, very clean and fresh and innocent, very feminine. I get wafts of vanilla frosting from further away as the scent dries down, but the rose always overpowers it, to my nose.

On the bright side, though, this is an extremely soft and wearable rose perfume. I think I actually like this better as a soft musky rose scent with a touch of cake than I would as a CAKE!!! scent with roses. It feels like a perfume to me, rather than a food, and while my feelings on this sometimes go back and forth, over the long term, I've generally found myself enjoying perfumes that don't smell purely edible.

What do you think a baby unicorn birthday party should smell like? Do you have any favorite ZOMG Smells perfumes to recommend?

For other reviews, check out the reviews on the ZOMG Smells scent page (scroll down to the bottom) or nowviskie.org. Unseen Censer also has a nice writeup of ZOMG Smells.

Note: this scent is not guaranteed to be vegan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment