Friday, January 23, 2015

By AG
Hey everyone! I've got a quick review for you tonight on one of Fyrinnae's many unusual shades of Lip Lustre: a shimmery metallic gold called Isis. I've only got a trial size so I'll let you know right up front that I've only worn this shade a few times - not enough for extensive testing, but hopefully enough to help you figure out if you want this product in your life.

First things first, let's take a look at Isis:


This is a very yellow-leaning gold with a metallic finish and a small amount of gold shimmer. It's of moderate opacity, meaning my lips look pretty evenly gold when I wear it, but I can still see hints of my natural lip color showing through.

I don't really like wearing Isis over bare lips. I find it a little drying, as opposed to my other Lip Lustre shades (mostly satin/matte finishes) which I find neither drying nor hydrating. As such, I've never done a proper longevity test wearing just Isis, so I can't speak to how it wears on its own. Do keep in mind I have very dry skin and lips, so your experience may be different.

I think this shade's true calling is as a topper over other lipsticks. I tried Isis out over the deep red Dragon's Blood (reviewed here) and found it gave a striking gold duochrome-like effect that caught the light beautifully and added a bit of sparkle to boot. Learn from my mistake, though, and make sure to use a lip brush to apply it! I had the bright idea of putting Isis's applicator directly on my lips and wound up with red lipstick all over it. A lip brush takes a little more time and it's kind of awkward to load the brush from the doe foot applicator, but it's worth it to avoid contaminating the tube with other colors.

I've only tried a few moderately sheer metallic lipsticks, but Isis is definitely the best I've used. Most of the similar silver and gold lipsticks I've tried are so low on pigment as to be patchy, and too slippery to build well. Isis builds perfectly and looks respectable enough to wear on its own despite never getting totally opaque. I didn't have to fuss to get the lip swatch shown above, though I did need a few dips in the tube to fully cover my lips.

As of writing this post Fyrinnae is closed to catch up on orders, but I expect them to be open again very soon.

What do you think of Isis, and metal-colored lipsticks in general? Are sheer lipstick toppers worth the effort? I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments!

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

0 comments:

Post a Comment