Sunday, January 11, 2015

By Unknown
Purchased

My Mid-Winter Getaway


The January Slump. Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's have ended, taking the smells of cranberries, holly, and winter. Valentine's Day is still a month away, with its scent of roses still far off. Dreams of Cabo and warmer climes are on many people's minds. But Cabo is expensive. Who wants to use all the vacation time right after the New Year?

I'm not sure about you guys, but I am not bikini ready. So I created my own Mid-Winter Getaway - some bath and body products with some great tropical scents to at least give a warm weather vibe for those of us living in the cooler climes. Without further ado-

Fortune Cookie Soap
Polyjuice Potion Bath Bomb

Fragranced with a magical blend of fresh oranges, grapefruit, strawberries, ripe melon, peaches and kiwi; sprinkled with a touch of sugar
Really- Polyjuice Potion anything. It is a tropical wonderland. It is sweet and fruity. This is a non-traditional tropical scent. It smells more like strawberry kiwi than the clichéd idea of tropical scents like pineapples and plumerias. It is beyond strawberry kiwi though. It blends into this perfect aroma of happiness for me that I love to soak in.

Unlike a lot of FCS products, I have had no problems with this one. I haven't found coloured oil buildup on my bathtub or found it rather slippery afterwards. It is not a particularly oily bath bomb; I feel like I am lounging in the perfect ratio of moisturizing oils to scent. Usually there is a green display across the top of the bath bomb, but it had fallen off of mine during transit and was in the bag. I left it exposed to light for some time in attempt to get it to glow in the dark, but no go- not even a hint of green glow in the dark, but I did discover that my Polyjuice Potion Fortune Cookie Soap still has a fantastic glow to it, months after buying it.

Purchase Link

Haus of Gloi
Imp Soft Bubbling Scrub

Peculiar passion fruit mingling with sun-cured apricots, perfectly pink grapefruit juice and innocent wet mimosa blooms.

This is the lighter side of a tropical scent. The passion fruit is the most prevalent scent, the others rounding out and filling the passion fruit aroma. The scent is almost creamy, which is probably from the ingredients of the scrub. The grapefruit gives it a bit of a sharp note. I cannot get enough of Imp and have been planning a full size purchase of everything Imp my next HoG purchase.

We have just recently reviewed Haus of Gloi's Soft Bubbling Scrubs, and nothing has changed. I love their bubbling scrub. If you're in a pinch for time, you can easily use the scrub as soap – not that I would suggest you always do so.

Purchase Link

Queen Bee Apothecary
Bora Bora Whipped Soap

pineapple, acai, mango, passion fruit, yuzu, apple, orchid & musk
Pineapple!  The acai brings a sweet, while the mango and passion fruit round the sharp from the citrus. The orchid brings maybe just the barest hint of floral, while I find the apple almost not there. I had no idea what yuzu smelled like before writing this review or really what yuzu is. To massively generalize – it's a small grapefruit with uneven skin. It smells like a grapefruit with overtones of mandarin orange. Thank you, Wikipedia. Knowing what it is, I can tell you that the yuzu comes out pleasantly. When you're looking for it, it's easy to find. When you're not, it's just a lovely rounded tropical aroma of wonderful that reminds me of the fruit baskets on a tropical cruise or resort.

As a whipped soap, it's not my favorite in consistency. I find it is actually a little watery. It's even lighter in consistency than Solstice Scents. Its first ingredient is glycerin, but it is the wateriest whipped soap I've tried so far. And then I tried it again, and actually loved it even more. It must have settled between the first and second time I tried it. It was fantastic the second time, fluffy and just dense enough. It is easily one of my favorite whipped soaps that I own now. It's a fantastic scent that enveloped me in the shower and made me feel like I might have been in Hawaii.

Purchase Link

Villainess Soaps
Krakatoa Whipped!

Flashes of exotic foliage - coconut, banana, papaya, dewfruit, mango - amidst slightly more domestic fruits - nectarine, red apple, peach, plums, pears, and raspberries - and an explosive burst of citrus - mandarin orange, pineapple, lemon, and tangerine. Light musk, salted driftwood, sugar cane, and dry sandalwood work to ground our island paradise.

There are so many scent notes here. SO many. I would be lying if I said I could smell all of them. It's…well, there's definitely a tropical scent. I smells something sweet like passion fruit or papaya and then mostly just a tropical something. I do love the scent; I just find it unidentifiable.

This is an interesting lotion. Unlike most of the indie lotions I've tried, this is a water-based lotion. The next two ingredients are mango seed butter and coconut oil. I had a lot of problems rubbing this into my skin. I would rub it into my legs, and there would be a bit of a greasy feel to it, so I tried to rub it in a little more and find that suddenly I had something rubbing off of me and all over my hands. It felt like dead skin or something except I had just scrubbed the shit out of my legs in the shower with an exfoliant. Once I had cleaned up the weird bits of something and just moisturized my hands, my hands felt very soft and smooth for hours afterwards. I think there's just something weird about my leg skin.

Purchase Link


Wrap-Up

I was originally wary of suggesting you try all of these in one go. When I was just doing sniff tests to try and explains the scents, I ended up with a whopping scent headache that lasted several hours. But I went ahead and tried them all together anyway because that's what we crazy people do. They layer beautifully. Nothing left too strong a scent on my skin to leave me feeling overwhelmed.  Even the lotion, with which I covered most of my body, left me with just a pleasant tropical aroma that teasingly followed me. The bath bomb left no discernible scent to me, but I went straight into the shower, wherein I used the scrub and soap, which left just a hint of the whipped soap behind on my skin, which was then covered by the lotion. It worked out really well.

What's your mid-winter getaway to add a spring to your step during these cold months?

0 comments:

Post a Comment