Tuesday, January 6, 2015

By Unknown
Tyto is a breathless blend reminiscent of an early spring morning
When Evonne is not concocting magical perfumey blends, I imagine she's also something of an amateur psychologist, knowing just how to get me excited about her newest fragrance. I'm not sure if it's her timing, the writing, photography, or just some irresistible blend of all three, but Darling Clandestine is guilty of receiving more impulse purchases from me than any other indie shop I frequent. I'll be browsing Facebook and see a cute little vial posted with a chipper, "I made a new scent and it's gonna be for sale!" message and suddenly I'm $8 poorer and excitedly stalking my mailman for the next few weeks. I suppose I could put an end to this wanton indie spending if I just removed DC from Facebook... but who would actually want to do that?

Tyto
Itsy Bitsy size: 1/2 dram glass bottle for $6.00
Tyto features bright, tart pomegranate, blinks of green undergrowth and a tangled suite of woods, including a divinely excellent oud from Sumbawa, courtesy of an Indonesian friend.
Tyto is a curious little scent that went up for sale quietly only a short while before Evonne closed up shop temporarily for the holidays.

I don't think Tyto could have chosen a better time to arrive in my mailbox. We've been lucky with unseasonably mild weather for this time of year, but it has suddenly transformed into a cold snap. Coupled with the abrupt end to the holiday season, I find myself surrounded by cold, grey bleakness that seems to stretch out endlessly (or at least until some week in April where nature is charitable enough to finally warm up).
 

 This is not a "pow" kind of fragrance. Darling Clandestine scents range from face-punch-strongly-awesome to quiet murmurs that last throughout the entire day. I falter on how to really describe it. I can talk about the juicy pomegranate topnotes and how they shimmer for the first ten or fifteen minutes of wear, or maybe the winding green dampness that creeps up on you the longer it stays on your skin.

I think the best way to describe Tyto would be to say that it's like a breath of spring air. After being cooped up for so long, Spring is so excited, so breathless with joy to be free that she can hardly speak and isn't quite sure what to do next. Delicate woods, little twinkling moments of tart pomegranate, and a wispy wetness all entwine within each other to create what feels like a moment captured on an early spring morning.

Duration: Unfortunately, those early spring moments are fleeting. While Tyto doesn't dissolve into something icy cold, it fades away instead. This is one of the most fleeting fragrances I've tried from Darling Clandestine. I'm sad because I do enjoy it immensely and wish it would stick around longer than a few hours. However, given how Tyto reminds me so much of spring... it almost seems fitting in a way? Those kinds of moments are so brief, but they give you hope of what's to come as the world warms up.

Score: 3.5/5
As much as I adore Tyto, I really can't ignore just how fragile it is. This would be a solid 5 if it lasted longer than 2 hours on my skin. I realize everyone's skin is different though so please don't feel discouraged from trying it - you might be lucky!

0 comments:

Post a Comment