Tuesday, January 20, 2015

By Unknown
Youthful yet sophisticated, Starlight twinkles and beams!

As my tastes shift and transform over time, I keep coming back to dry, sparkly scents as mainstays in my weekly rotation. I'm still very much in love with my fruity favorites, but perhaps I am growing up and becoming more sophisticated(!) because lately I've grown to appreciate more musky varieties. Possets brings these two worlds together and they collide in the form of Starlight, a permanent catalog blend.

Starlight
Regular size: 5mL bottle for $12.50
This is the fragrance which captivated all of London when Isabella first wore it at her coming out. It is light, dry and sweet at the same time. It is perfectly open-eyed and correct but very very seductive. It lingers and is womanly in a beautiful loved way, nothing to forgive. Dryest musk and vines and moss combine with a hint of pikaki, raspberry. and a very light and fruity fir. It's the sort of a scent that you could be wearing, be kissed by a man and have your mother walk in on you and still be forgiven.
I'm not sure who Isabella is  (and I Googled, so if there was some notably wonderful smelling young lady from London I glossed over, please tell me), but whoever she is, she has impeccable taste in perfumes. I originally tossed this into my sample pack partly because it contained the words "light, dry and sweet" but mostly because I found the description humorous in its contrast between being so sweetly innocent yet somehow seductive and boyfriend-kissing-on-the-sly-approved.

But it kind of makes sense. When I think of really youthful fragrances, zingy, sparkly fruits come immediately to mind. Starlight gets the party started right away with a fruity splash - but to me it smells like cool, almost minty pineapple and not raspberry. Something about its bubblyness reminds me of tonic water. This is a bright, springy/summery scent to be sure - light and soft with only hints of the dry musk.

I actually don't see this as being a seductive scent at all. I have happy memories of wearing a dab of Starlight on my wrists while leaning against my boyfriend, sitting on a large log in a meadow clearing on a mid-summer morning. Brimming with girlish excitement and at the same time feeling a deep sense of quiet happiness. Not quite a full adult, but not entirely a child anymore either.

Duration: Starlight is right up there with Fascinator, one of my other Possets favorites, in regards to staying power. Unlike many other fragrances that lean fruity, the fruity top notes are very content with dancing on your skin the entire day, only the sparkliest bits are quick to evaporate. The dry musky notes keep things grounded, and the balance between the two is fantastic because they keep things from turning too fruity. Typically I try to judge my perfumes' durations by how long until I can't detect anything left on my skin, but Starlight is still going strong 15 hours later and near bedtime!

Score: 5/5
Starlight is flirty and feminine, youthful without being juvenile, and above all a very lovely and clean scent. While some fragrances shift, morph, shimmer and burn out, Starlight is content to hum along and stays true for pretty much the entire day. It's appropriate for work and play. Don't expect this to be a "come-hither" swanky date night perfume, because if you're wearing this for a date it's more of a "let's feed ducks in the park and run through the grass without our shoes then get some lemon ice" kind of date. I am especially appreciative of it during grey January days when it feels so cold and lifeless outside because it breathes a little bit of zing into an otherwise dull day.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds lovely! I'm really loving your blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very lovely! It's one of my most-used Possets fragrances right next to Fascinator and Massachusetts. And thank you! :)

      Delete