Saturday, January 17, 2015

By Anonymous


The Makeup Honey for Indie Know

Hi Indie Know! Let me first introduce myself, I am Sian the creator of The Makeup Honey Blog. The Makeup Honey Blog began as an online sketchbook for my ideas while I was in college studying artistic makeup design and SFX. Now 5 years later, The Makeup Honey has contributors, reviews, tutorials, competitions, quests, swatches and sneaky peaks at life as a professional makeup artist. My current and ongoing quest is the Indie Quest. As a British MUA, moving to Norway was one hell of a shock, especially when I discovered that brands such as Benefit, Urban Decay, and Illamasqua simply don´t exist in Norway. (You can get these brands online but unless you are prepared to pay $17.00+ for international delivery and then pay pretty hefty tax on all packages over $32.00 + shipping tax, you will find yourself drowning in the makeup desert that is Norway)
There are some Scandiavian brands such as Makeup Store and Isa Dora but on the whole, makeup is very much a drugstore thing.

Around the time I was discovering the insane lack of my favourite brands, I stumbled across a wonderful forum on Reddit called “Indie Makeup and More”. It was there I was introduced to the world of Indie Makeup. So here I am, 2 years into my Indie Quest, to discover and sample as many Indie brands as possible. The quest has been amazing so far, I have made some wonderful friends (shoutout to Ellie at Dreamworld Hermetica!) compiled a A-Z of Indie Beauty Box Subscriptions, found some amazing brands such as Little Sparrow Cosmetics and learned a whole lot about makeup that they DIDN´T teach me at school.

And now I am here! The girls here at Indie Know did a guest post on The Makeup Honey Blog last year and now it is my turn to return the favour! I thought it might be nice to introduce you to one of the few Norwegian Indie Brands. So for your viewing pleasure, I present, KIM Cosmetics.


KIM Cosmetics


Initially I was interested in KIM Cosmetics because of their location. The USA pretty much has the monopoly on Indie Brands, so I was incredibly intruiged to find a Norwegian one. I spoke with the stores owner a few times as I was interested in their liquid foundations but in the end my addiction to lipstick won out and I walked away with 5 lip colours.  Now as Kim Cosmetics is a Norwegian company, the website is of course written in Norwegian so I will do my best to translate for you!
“The overall goal of KIM Cosmetic is to make good products with gentle
ingredients that any skin type can endure. The ingredients are carefully picked out by considering their natural properties, qualities, but also durability to make sure that the final result is as it can be.
We aim to provide a good variety of shades with more colors and products. That way everyone, regardless of their complexion or skin type, can find colors that match.”
Quote taken from www.kim4u.no Om KIM
While all of the products are created with organic material, not all of the products are vegan and vegetarian friendly. So if you are looking for vegan makeup then I would advise that you avoid the Lipgloss, Bad Girl Lipstick Collection, Organic Lip Balm, Organic Eyeliner Pen and certain mineral eyeshadows (mainly the red ones because you know, carmine) But that still leaves you with over 10 other product families which are vegan safe. As for animal testing I will let KIM explain their view on that practice:
“KIM Cosmetic deeply deplores animal testing, and NONE of the products are tested on animals.
Products are otherwise tested by a handful of two-legged lovely ladies.”
Quote taken from www.kim4u.no Om KIM
So there you have it, mostly vegan, completely organic, 100% cruelty free and a huge range of products. The only bad news is that if you live outside of Norway then you will have to wait until later in the year when international shipping becomes an option. However, if you reeeally want a product and email Kim then I think you will be able to order, she is a very helpful lady.



Glamour Red – The Bad Girl Collection
“Glamour Red is a red colored lipstick that creates conviviality in a snap. Beautiful summer. A fresh medium dark color that suits most skin tones.
The lipsticks from Bad Girl Collection are full of good nourishing organic ingredients, which ensures that your lips from drying out. Contains natural Vitamin E oil, Shea butter and Rosemary seed extract, which is known for its nourishing and moisturizing properties.
The lipstick contains peppermint oil, which gives a fresh smell and has a cooling and stimulating effect on the lips. Often used in gloss that will pump up lips because peppermint has a stimulating effect on the cardiovascular system.”
Quote taken from www.kim4u.no Lepper Bad Girl Collection


First off, “Glamour Red” is the only lipstick that I tested that I know for definite is NOT vegan friendly. That aside, I loved this product! The initial swipe of the product is a little waxy as the bullet has I guess air dried a little but after that first swipe it is incredibly smooth and creamy. It glides on incredibly evenly and the pigmentation is just awesome. In the swatches I applied one coat, direct from the bullet with no blotting, lining or priming. The first picture is taken at application, the picture below I taken around an hour after the application. I got around 2.5 hours wear time before I needed to re-apply. (I think it could´ve been long but I was desperate for a brew.)

Overall Grade: A


Ingredients as listed on the website:
Prunus Armeniaca Oil , Cera alba (Beeswax) , Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Candelilla Wax, Vitamin E (Natural), Peppermint Lip Balm, Rosemary Seed Extract (Helianthus annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Rosemarinus officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract), Zink oxide, D&C lakes.

Blossom – Organic Lipstick
“KIM Organic Lipstick is made of organic ingredients like shea butter, jojoba oil and natural vitamin E oil, which are all known for their moisturizing and nourishing properties.”
Quote taken from www.kim4u.no Lepper Organic Collection


“Blossom” is a gorgeous orange inspired red tone, perfect for Autumn. The organic lipsticks are a little glossier than the Bad Girl Collection, due to the use of Candelilla Wax rather than Beeswax. This makes it a little more moisturizing but also inhibits the wear time slightly. With Blossom I got a solid 2 hours before needing to re-apply. The picture below was taken 1 hour after the initial application with no use of lip liners, primers or blotting.

Overall Grade: B+


Ingredients as listed on the website:
Prunus Armeniaca Oil, Cera alba, Candelilla Wax, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil , Olive wax, Vitamin E (Natural), Rosemary Seed Extract, Helianthus annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Rosemarinus officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract Zink Oxide, +/- [CI77510, CI 77289, CI 77491, CI 77492]), mineral pigmenter, Zink stearate, Magnesium Myristate , Mica

Barely – Organic Lipstick
“KIM Organic Lipstick is made of organic ingredients like shea butter, jojoba oil and natural vitamin E oil, which are all known for their moisturizing and nourishing properties.”
Quote taken from www.kim4u.no Lepper Organic Collection


“Barely” is a rose inspired nude, very subtle and wearble as a day or nighttime lip. Barely got a lot less wear time before I needed to re-apply the product, after around 1.5 hours it was only really around the outer line of my lips. You can see from the picture below which was taken 1 hour after the initial application with no use of lip liners, primers or blotting, that it has already begun to fade on the inside of my lower lip.

Overall Grade: C+


Ingredients as listed on the website:
Prunus Armeniaca Oil, Cera alba, Candelilla Wax, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil , Olive wax, Vitamin E (Natural), Rosemary Seed Extract, Helianthus annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Rosemarinus officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract Zink Oxide, +/- [CI77510, CI 77289, CI 77491, CI 77492]), mineral pigmenter, Zink stearate, Magnesium Myristate , Mica

Dora – Organic Lipstick
“KIM Organic Lipstick is made of organic ingredients like shea butter, jojoba oil and natural vitamin E oil, which are all known for their moisturizing and nourishing properties.”
Quote taken from www.kim4u.no Lepper Organic Collection


“Dora” was my absolute favourite of all the lip colours. It is a true nude and for me it was my “my lips but better” shade. This one gave me 4 hours wear time before I needed to even think about a re-application. The picture below was taken 1 hour after the initial application with no use of lip liners, primers or blotting.

Overall Grade: A++


Ingredients as listed on the website:
Prunus Armeniaca Oil, Cera alba, Candelilla Wax, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil , Olive wax, Vitamin E (Natural), Rosemary Seed Extract, Helianthus annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Rosemarinus officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract Zink Oxide, +/- [CI77510, CI 77289, CI 77491, CI 77492]), mineral pigmenter, Zink stearate, Magnesium Myristate , Mica - See more at: http://kim4u.no/?id=shop&level=details&file=1355786913&katC=1354488802.txt&katD=1371593267.txt#sthash.L4F2u7Wt.dpuf

Do Not Hide – Organic Lipstick
“KIM Organic Lipstick is made of organic ingredients like shea butter, jojoba oil and natural vitamin E oil, which are all known for their moisturizing and nourishing properties.”
Quote taken from www.kim4u.no Lepper Organic Collection


“Do Not Hide” is a nude with a twist of red, like “Blossom” is it a very wearable day or night lip colour but out of all 5 KIM Cosmetics products that I tried, this one had the lowest wear time. As you can see from the picture below which was taken 1 hour after the initial application with no use of lip liners, primers or blotting, that it has faded on the inside of my lower lip giving me that super sexy “I only lined my lips today” look. While it is not by any means a bad lip product (the fading compared to some mainstream brands is almost nonexistent) but compared to the other KIM Cosmetic products it was the lowest performer.

Overall Grade: C-


Ingredients as listed on the website:
Prunus Armeniaca Oil, Cera alba, Candelilla Wax, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil , Olive wax, Vitamin E (Natural), Rosemary Seed Extract, Helianthus annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Rosemarinus officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract Zink Oxide, +/- [CI77510, CI 77289, CI 77491, CI 77492]), mineral pigmenter, Zink stearate, Magnesium Myristate , Mica



0 comments:

Post a Comment