Monday, December 15, 2014

By AG


Hey everyone! My fabulous co-blogger Kristin and I took a trip to Portland's Crafty Wonderland this past weekend, partially to get some Christmas shopping done and partially to drop by the Shiro Cosmetics booth. We got a chance to chat with Shiro masterminds Caitlin and Lauren, both of whom are just as awesome in person as they are online. While browsing the booth I was delighted to see they had some products out for sale that I'd never seen before - most notably, a new lip gloss and two new cool-toned additions to the Cheekbones contouring powder collection! I purchased one of each and I'm very excited to share swatches and preliminary thoughts with you. If you haven't seen my review of the original five shades in this collection, you can check that out here.


None of these are up on the website yet but they should be there as soon as the Shiro team recovers from Black Friday. It's my understanding the contour powders will be released as permanent products and the gloss will be up as a limited edition offering, available for about a month. I'll fill in the site descriptions and purchase links when everything appears on the website. I've copied in the powder ingredients from the labels. For reference, my skin tone is approximately MAC NC15 or Meow Sleek Korat - pale and warm-toned.

Let's take a look!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Coming soon!

Ingredients: serecite mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxide, tin oxide. Eye safe, lip safe.

Personal Comments: This is the second cool-toned matte gray in the Cheekbones collection, but I had pretty different experiences with the two shades. I don't have comparison swatches for you, but I did examine them side by side in the jars. An East Wind Coming has a definite green cast when it's next to the extra steely Do Your Research (shown above).

An East Wind Coming was my top pick of the first five shades, but even with my preference for cool-toned contour colors, I found Do Your Research was a little too cool for me. No matter how much I blended it under my cheekbones and along the sides of my nose, I had a gray stripe on my face and what appeared to be a dirty nose bridge. I suspect this would look best on folks with cool-toned skin. However, it's worth mentioning my warm-toned co-blogger Kristin tried this out and loved it! The powder is incredibly soft and finely milled, which makes it beautifully blendable, but I did notice it kicked up a little more dust than usual.

Purchase Link (coming soon!)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Coming soon!

Ingredients: serecite mica, iron oxide, ferric ferrocyanide. Eye safe, not lip safe.

Personal Comments: Oh man, this is an awesome color! To my eyes, it's a cool-toned taupe that leans to plummy brown. This shade made for a soft and very natural contour on my warm-toned skin (roughly MAC NC15 or Meow Sleek Korat). I tried it both under my cheekbones and along the side of my nose, and I found it looked great in both locations. It is a matte shade, and the texture blends in nicely with my skin. As with Do Your Research, this is a beautifully soft, finely milled, and blendable powder. Unlike Do Your Research, I didn't notice it kicking up any excess dust. I'll have to do a contour smackdown to see whether I like Burn The Heart Out Of You more than An East Wind Coming, but either way, those two are my top picks of the Cheekbones collection.

Purchase Link (coming soon!)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From the website: Coming soon!

Ingredients: Coming soon!

Personal Comments: If I understood Caitlin correctly, Figgy Pudding is Shiro's answer to the Kylie Jenner brown lipstick trend. I think the team did a great job making a color that's unusual without being unapproachable!

I'm not entirely happy with the color accuracy in these photos - the arm and lip swatches kept pulling red regardless of lighting. The tube shot looks very close to what I see in real life, which is a deep color somewhere between brown and dark brick red. This definitely makes for a dark statement lip against my pale, warm-toned skin. I feel most comfortable wearing Figgy Pudding when I have a full face of makeup on to support such a strong lip color. I'll need to experiment with blush colors, because I'm not convinced it's pairing well with the warm-toned red I applied today. I think a nude blush will work really nicely with this.

The gloss smells of fruity baked goods to my nose, but I'm not sure what the official scent description is yet. I don't see any glitter or shimmer. The gloss both sheers out and builds up nicely for a variety of effects. As you may be able to see in the photo above, I did notice this gloss feathering a bit on my lower lip, so I'll make sure to outline my lips with a clear lip liner whenever I wear this shade.

Purchase Link (coming soon!)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I said, these should all be up on the Shiro Cosmetics website very soon! Have any of them caught your eye?

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

1 comments:

  1. Figgy Pudding is beautiful! I haven't got into the cheekbone collection yet, but they look nice too

    ReplyDelete