Tuesday, December 2, 2014

By Unknown


I've been buying on and off from Haus of Gloi for several years now, and it's been interesting to see how their business has really taken off in the last year or so, to the point where I've started to stalk their restock notices to try and catch more popular scents or products before they sell out. This is great for Haus of Gloi but kind of discouraging as a consumer, since I'd love to be able to just buy whatever products I want, whenever I want, instead of having to pounce on a bottle of perfume or a Pumpkin Butter before it flies off the virtual shelves a few minutes later! Anyway, minor rant over--I was thinking of Haus of Gloi today due to one of their hyped-up restocks and thought I'd review a limited edition Yule scent I received as a free sample with purchase recently, Eggnoggin.

Price: $15 for a 5 mL amber glass bottle of perfume oil with polyseal cap.
Samples: Not available for this scent.
(More details about price and shipping can be found in our Company Overview post about Haus of Gloi.)
Description from the website: "The Haus 'nog! Cream, sugar and a shot of dark rum topped with fresh grated nutmeg."

I really didn't think I'd like this perfume. I approached it with extreme trepidation--I've found out over the years that I typically don't like perfumes containing notes of cream/milk, booze, or anything overly sweet, and this perfume promised to be all three. (Back in more innocent days, I tried a sample of BPAL's The Sea Foams Milk and almost threw up. Lesson learned: I don't like aquatics, I don't like milk scents, and does anyone like the combination of the two?)

Thankfully, it turned out to be much less objectionable than I was expecting. Even... nice? Not something I was expecting at all from the description. It's sweet and boozy for sure, and slightly artificial-smelling, but it has heavy doses of a rich, custard-like French vanilla note in it as well, and vanilla is one of my favorite scents. It reminds me a bit of one of my all-time favorite perfumes, the limited edition Madagascan Vanilla Rum single note from Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab. I don't find it to smell as creamy as real eggnog, but it's close.

It gets strangely, authentically sweet and milky after it wears on my skin for a while, smelling a bit like Japanese yogurt candies for a while, but with a bitter base of nutmeg and a hint of plastic that keeps it from being the same kind of holy grail vanilla scent as Madagascan Vanilla Rum. Overall, though, my general impression of it is mostly a sweet, ice-creamy spiced vanilla--much nicer than the name of the perfume or its description would have led me to believe. The nutmeg keeps it from feeling too sweet for me personally, but it will definitely be too sweet for some.

It's unlikely I'd purchase a full size of this, but I think it's worth sampling--I could see it being a true love for some, given that I think it's good and I don't even like creamy, boozy perfumes.

For other reviews of Eggnoggin, you can also check out Owl Be Damned, More Tea, Wesley?, or Get Lippie.

Note: this scent is vegan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment