Tuesday, December 16, 2014

By Unknown



I'm always on the lookout for good vanilla perfumes, so when I saw the description of Arcturus, from Possets' Spring 2014 Night Sky collection, I decided to try a decant. I've had this since the spring, but didn't wear it for several months--I got it out again recently and decided it wasn't too late to write up a review; this scent became part of the Possets permanent collection, and so is still available for purchase.

Price: $12.50 for a 5 mL amber glass bottle of perfume oil with polyseal cap.
Samples: Not available for this scent.
(More details about price and shipping can be found in our Company Overview post about Possets.)
Description from the website: "Arc to Arcturus is a common saying in the astrological world. In this case Arcturus is a blend of the blackest of all vanillas in a swirl in dead space. It's a beautiful dark foodie blend which is a true hybrid between the wearable vanillas and those which you just wish to put your tongue on. Madagascar, two Mexican vanilla, and a dry and almost earthy Tahitian vanilla blend together to make a superb concoction for seduction. Intensely sophisticated and very up to date."

I honestly wasn't crazy about this scent when I first got it--it smelled very Bath and Body Works to me and boring in the sort of generic Warm Vanilla Sugar vein, but it has grown on me, and I'm not sure if that's the scent aging well or my feelings about the perfume changing.

The vanilla is sweet but slightly smoky and musky--it reminds me of toasted marshmallows with a hint of burning. If you like Solstice Scents' Snowshoe Pass, I think you'll like this perfume as well--they have a similar creamy, musky vibe. It's not terribly gourmand, as vanilla scents go--the dry muskiness tempers the sweetness a bit.

I've read a couple of reviews comparing this to BPAL's ultra-rare cult favorite Antique Lace, and I can definitely see the similarity, but I find Antique Lace much stronger, more "linen"-y, and a bit more powdery than Arcturus; Arcturus also has a slight bitter edge, especially as it wears on my skin for a while, that Antique Lace does not.

It's always nice to have permanently available, single-note indie vanilla perfumes out there for purchase, for layering or wearing alone. I have enough vanilla perfumes in my arsenal that I don't feel any need for a full size of this one, but I think it's a nice and affordable choice if you aren't already hoarding bottles and bottles of vanilla perfume.

For other opinions, check out More Tea, Wesley or the Possets forums.

Note: this scent is vegan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment