Friday, December 19, 2014

By Kristin

Paintbox Soapworks has an interesting take on the bath bomb style product. Instead of a solid mass, they instead sell "bath streusel" which is supposed to be a combination of a bath melt, bubble bar, and bubble bomb in a loose yet chunky form. It's meant to be moisturizing and bubbly.

Paintbox offers this product in most (all?) of their scents but only lists items as they're in stock. Bath Streusels seem to be a pretty popular offering since I've seen several different varieties come in and out of stock. This particular one is in "Punkie Night," a scent from the Paintbox Fall release.
Frothy steamed pumpkin milk spiked with rowdy cloves, jittery black tea & a rasp of cinnamon bark
Though this is definitely meant to be an autumn seasonal, it's also an excellent one for winter. The pumpkin note is subtle and though there's some spice note that sticks out awkwardly in jar, it settles smoothly in the bath.


One jar of Bath Streusel is advertised as enough for 3-4 baths but I think that's a low estimate. I mistakenly tossed a third of a jar into the water the first time I tried it and found myself swimming in oil bubbles. Somewhere between a fourth or a fifth of a jar is more ideal for me.


AG adds: I have a jar of Bath Streusel in Punkie Night as well, and I've tried it once so far. My first impressions were something of a mixed bag. Aesthetically, this didn't really work for me - once the initial bubbles settled, I saw a light oil sheen across the surface, plus the occasional larger oil droplet floating around. I was also unhappy with the scent. I really enjoy spiced and spicy scents, but this smelled like straight up cinnamon essential oil with no other notes. I only used about 10-15% of the jar, but I could still easily detect the cinnamon scent for my entire hour-long bath, as well as lightly on my skin after the bath. On the positive side, my perpetually dry and itchy winter legs felt better after the bath than before, and I only felt a slight bit of oily film on my skin (which is just fine in my book). Bottom line: since this scent doesn't work for me, I'll be passing along my jar of Punkie Night to a friend. In a different scent, I would finish the jar but would likely not purchase any more Bath Streusels.


Punkie Night is currently out of stock in Bath Streusel form but you can check out their current Streusel offerings here!

0 comments:

Post a Comment