Friday, November 6, 2015

By Kristin
Purchased


I think it was actually the owner of Future Prim that brought Valhalla Soap Co to my awareness. She posted a picture of a really gorgeous bar soap that she was enjoying and I had to look into the company. I'm a much bigger fan of whipped soaps than bar soaps nowadays so I grabbed a jar of their "The Real Deal" Whipped Soap to try out.

One of the first things listed on the product page - and the first to catch my eye - is their blurb that the whipped soap is made from scratch. I prefer my whipped soaps to be made in house by the indie, particularly for a bath and body shop, so I was happy to see it. 
INGREDIENTS: Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Glycerine, Distilled Water, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Stearic Acid, Avocado Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Argan Oil, Organic Free Trade Shea Butter, Organic Jojoba Oil, Phenoxyethanol (and) Caprylyl Glycol, Fragrance.
May also contain any or a combination of FD&C Blue #1, FD&C Red #40, FD&C Yellow #5 skin safe colorants and sugar sprinkles.
The packaging is also different from the website photo - square instead of round. I'm not sure if this is consistently different or just a one off. My jar is listed to contain 6oz of product which is on the higher end of what the product listing says (5.5 to 6oz).


In the box, it comes in a plastic bag tied with a string. It made it seem almost present-esque? Though I'm not sure what the actual point is since it wouldn't stop anyone from finger-dipping then tying back up. 


I was very surprised to see that the product was a bright neon green upon opening the jar. I have no idea what causes this weird color layer but it's actually a more normal pale-yellow shade right after the initial few millimeters.

Happily, the weird color thing doesn't do anything odd when using it. Namely, it doesn't stain skin.

And beyond that, the soap itself performs very well.



It bubbles up well even using it straight on the hands without a loofa. The texture is light and fluffy and overall, I think the formula is great! For some density comparison, it's fluffier than the Haus of Gloi whipped soaps but more shape retaining than the whipped soaps from Solstice Scents.

It was neither drying nor overly moisturizing. It didn't leave a residue on my skin and rinsed off easily.

Scent-wise, I'm a little more conflicted. I tried "Il-Lemon-Ahti" and in the jar, it smells kind of like a dish soap. In the shower, it opens up a little more with a little more complexity but it's a light complexity and I only notice it here and there, even when I'm looking for it. It's not an unpleasant scent but it doesn't improve the experience for me like many others do, it's just kind of there in a "I smell like soap" kind of way. This might be a really good option for transitioning someone into the sometimes overpoweringly scented world of indie soaps.

Overall, I think I'd like to try this soap formula in a different scent because the formula was excellent but I've kind of grown accustomed to an aromatherapy experience when showering.

What do you guys think? Ever tried Valhalla Soap Co? What are your favorite whipped soaps?

7 comments:

  1. I love Valhalla Soap Co soaps!! The Pixie Dope is simply amazing. This is the only whipped soap I use now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What does pixie dope smell like? I'd love to try this formula in a different scent!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. oooo I LOVE this whipped soap. It's my holy grail of all the whipped soaps I've tried in the indie world and there have been A LOT. Interestingly I haven't ever tried Ill-Lemon-Ahti. My favs are Farmer's Daughter, Sex and Candy, Fallen Angel and Hedge Witch. I think the reason it is tied up in a plastic bag is to keep potential spills inside and not contaminate the whole box were that to occur but it never has for me. I find it gentle enough to use on my face in a pinch and it's great for shaving and a little goes a very long way. My jars tend to last me for at least 2 mos. or longer. I'm betting the reason you got a little green at the top is that sometimes the maker tops her soaps with a little decorative sugar so it might have been that and just melted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh! Thanks for the clarification on the color and the scent recommendations! I'll definitely have to try them out! Do you have any other Valhalla favorites?

      Delete
  3. I've been using Valhalla soaps since 2011 and I'm in love with all their soap designs and scents. But mostly I love the ingredients! The owners are wonderful people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) :) :)

      What are some of your other favorite products? Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I live their aloe extract body spray, artisan soy wax, triple whip body butter, cream layered sugar scrub, bubbling bath melts. Basically everything they have. If you like fruity scents Persian pear is a beautiful scent.

    ReplyDelete