Sunday, November 22, 2015

By Unknown

Witch City Wicks

Witch City Wicks 
Candles Product Review

Today, instead of getting bubbly, we’re burning things! The moment it gets cold out, candles start burning in my house. I found Witch City Wicks mentioned in a Facebook post about being a good indie candle shop to try. It seemed like every time I had money to spend, they were out of stock. And every time, I didn’t, they were in stock, naturally.

Finally, via her Etsy shop, I found a full size, and then a 4-pack of samples, that allowed me to try the 5 Halloween scents I wanted to. I did not see a Halloween sample pack on her website, but they do exist for her general catalogue.

The full size candle is listed as having a burn time of 55 hours. My full size candle lasted 34 hours-  across 3 days: 12 hours, 11 hours, and then another 11 hours. They will probably last longer if you’re not a marathon burner like I am.

Witch City Wicks

The burn time for samples was unlisted on her Etsy shop, but her website says they last 12-15 hours. The sample time seems correct to what I found. I had mishaps with a couple of the little guys, so they didn’t get burned all the way through. And the ones that I did not have accidents with, I found that if I blew them out the night before at about 12 hours, they did not relight the next day.

Witch City Wicks
Finished candle - 34 hours.
Let’s talk scents.


All Hallow’s Eve

The perfect mix of spicy and sweet with fresh fall apples, smoky cloves and a light addition of earthy patchouli to round it out.
This was my favorite pre-burning, and my favorite while burning. It had this bright apple note with a hint of patchouli to make the scent smell like a cold Autumn’s night. It was incredibly reminiscent of Blooddrop’s Apples & Bones, and I loved it. Loved it, loved it. I was very sad to see this one gone so quickly, and will probably buy a full size next year.

Poison Apple

Ripe and fruity apple combined with a bit spice, including cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, orange, and cedarwood. This might be the apple candle you didn't know you needed, but can't live without.
My first note on this one is, “Brilliant!” The apple note this company uses is deliciously bright and juicy, standing out crisp and clear, like being in an orchard. There are hints of cinnamon and clove, almost bringing it to that baked apple or apple pie scent, lacking the buttery pastry scent, but the apple stays bright, even as the spices come out more clearly.

Salem

Smells like a walk around Salem, Massachusetts in October. You'll smell brisk cool air, spice, crisp leaves under foot, fresh pine with berries falling off the trees.
The scent for this one prior to burning was very smooth. When burning, it had a strong green note and then plenty of woods underneath. It was a much cleaner scent than either Poison Apple or All Hallow's Eve. It was really nice, though perhaps a touch light…it didn’t stand out much, but it was a lovely background scent.

Sleepy Hollow

Evokes the spectre of the Headless Horseman riding through the night, with the scent of burning fireplaces, pumpkin, apples and rich autumn spices in the air.
This one was a little weird right out of the package. After I let it settle down for a couple of days, it was much nicer. It almost smelled like a handmade broom. It reminded me a lot of meandering a historic village in the Autumn. It smelled of history and smoke and being rooted in something so much older than you.

Witch’s Broom

An explosion of exotic herbs and spices; cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and a little punch of something mysterious. This is how we imagine a witch's broom might smell.
This one also smelled a little weird straight out of the box. I actually downright hated it. Even after settling, I was concerned. It actually burned surprisingly well. It turned out spicy and sweet with a subtle hint of something gourmand. I was pleasantly surprised about it since it smelled so weird to me originally.


Final Thoughts

I definitely didn’t go wrong on a single candle here for me. While this collection has been retired for the year, her Holiday collection is up on her Etsy shop with some lovely traditional Winter scent notes. Be sure it check it out for that candle lover in your life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment