Wednesday, November 11, 2015

By Unknown

Fortune Cookie Soap Box Winter 2015 
“Welcome, Santa!”

Somehow, I missed the theme for this one. Based on the Will Ferrell film Elf, one expects silly names and scents based on the four basic food groups for an elf, and the box does seem to deliver. We have 3 new-to-me products, at least one of which I am fairly certain is new to FCS.


This collection releases for individual sale this Friday, November 13th at 6 pm CST. The party starts on the FCS Facebook page.

So, without further ado, let’s explore FCS’s newest winter collection.

"Buddy"
Fortune Cookie Soap

With notes of holiday fruits, candy, and crushed vanilla, and a hint of mint, this scent will have you feeling just as happy as everyone’s favorite elf!
When I first received the box, I did my initial Smell All the Things, and this smelled wonderful. Sparkly and bright, exactly what you want to smell in this kind of theme. It went a little funky for me when I used it. The scent warped a little and included something a little soapy. Nothing to make it not usable, just something a little odd. I would also recommend removing the pom before use- it is a craft item and not soap.

"Swirly Twirly Gum Drops"
OCD Hand Sanitizer

A sweet and whimsical blend of cotton candy, lemon drops, and fresh pear nectar, dancing with tart cranberries and black currants.
This starts as a very young, almost juvenile fruit scent topped with sugary candy cane. It deepens a little into a less sugary but perhaps fruity candy smell. Nothing stands out too much nor is it sharp or incredibly strong. It smells very reminiscent to me of another FCS product. I’ve read through every past review, though, and have come up empty handed. I’ve sniffed every FCS product I still own. Nada. Maybe I’m crazy. My best bet is it must have been something from the 2014 Candy Aisle Summer Box, but I have no idea what. We’ll just go with I’m crazy.

"World’s Best Cup of Coffee"
Whipped Cream

Vermont maple syrup, with just the right amount of fresh brewed coffee- gotta get in all those food groups!
My relationship with Kristin has allowed me to find food scents less awful of late. This is surprisingly nice for a maple syrup scent. (Spoiler alert: I don’t even like the real stuff. I’m that weird person that eats fresh fruit on my pancakes.) This scent is loud and rests heavily on the syrup with just a touch of the coffee coming out to temper the syrup into something a little less sticky, more palatable, and definitely deeper.

"Shower Duet"
Shave Oil

Spruce and vanilla, fir and fruits, hyacinth and mint; we’ve created a shave oil guaranteed to warm up your coldest winter nights. To use: Wet skin with warm water. Massage a small amount (3-5 drops) into the area to be shaved- allowing oils to soften hair and skin. Shave as usual, rinsing razor often. Rinse and enjoy!
This is an FCS product I haven’t come across before. Mr. J regularly uses shave oil when shaving his face. He has delicate skin, poor little lamb. I generally find it a hassle. It gunks up the razor and you have to spend extra time cleaning the razor out because sometimes the oil just doesn’t rinse out.

It wasn’t quite time to shave yet, so I just did a spot for you to see. It worked really well. It took 2 drops to get the area well covered so I could feel the oil built up on my skin. (True story, when I dripped the oil on my finger for photos, I rubbed it into the back of my hand to keep taking photos. My skin soaked that oil up like it had never felt moisture in its life. I might need to lotion more often.) It shaved efficiently and neatly, nice and smooth. Usually I have to shaved every 7-10 days, and not earlier or I get pretty bad razor burn. The oil protected my skin beautifully, and I didn’t feel like I needed to moisturize afterwards.

The scent is pine fresh, without the Pine Sol part. The spruce and mint mingle into something almost nasal-clearing, but softened by the vanilla, with just a hint of floral. I bet it would make a wonderful shower steamer. It’s a very fresh scent and great for winter.

"FCS Cheer"
Perfume Oil

Rich, buttery vanilla pound cake, over dark frankincense, patchouli, and cedar, create a scent that’s as warm and inviting as Christmas itself.
If I ever had to wear a cake scent, it would be this one. It opens with a tang on the tongue of pound cake. Sharp but still sweet. As it settles, the cake remains the main note, but there’s just a hint of something deeper lurking underneath, like at a Christmas party- everyone’s smelling the buffet, but you can almost smell the decorations under all those yummy food smells.

"Yellow Snow"
Bath Bomb

A juicy blend of ripe plums, whipped caramel, vanilla jasmine, and exotic woods with just a squeeze of zesty Mandarin oranges. Soothing and revitalizing in one drop.
Right out of the package, this scent was heavy on the vanilla and caramel. It was all I could smell. In the bath, it was just too small to overcome the smell of the water. (Pro tip: don’t put bath bombs in pots of water in your kitchen. Sodium bicarbonate is not your friend, and nobody wants blue water everywhere. whistles innocently) What I could smell was very lovely, but it was very limited in its smell compared to what I should have smelled. Hopefully, the full size products will be far more fragrant and give a more complex experience.

"Christmas Gram"
Face Plant

Warm steamy air, fresh with lavender and sea salt spray, mingle with the woody earthiness of sage and dark vanilla. To Use: Fill bowl or sink with very hot water. Drop in 2-3 tablets. Drape a towel over your head, and bowl/sink. Let the pore-opening steam, refresh and tone with seal salt and calming lavender.
Mmmmm a nice refreshing face steam. This was perfect. With the air getting drier, everyone can do with a little extra moisture. As boring as 10 minutes with my face over a bowl and a towel over my head was, I really enjoyed the results. My face has been pretty pissed off lately, judging by the number of pimples and how much it has burned when being cleaned, and this really helped it be happier. I used boiled water to make sure I had a good amount of time with the steam and it felt lovely and cleansing- it did take a little bit of time to adjust to breathing in the steam, but just some calm, slow breaths, and I was fine.

This smells mostly of lavender and sage, with just a hint of vanilla. It’s astringent and cleansing, adding a lovely aromatherapy to the steam. I really enjoyed the scent and the steam, and will probably buy a full package of them because it made my skin so happy and the smell was really quite lovely.

"Cotton Headed Ninny Muggins"
Dry Shampoo

A refreshi-floral (It’s a word- trust us!) blend, that bursts with lilies, freesia, jasmine, and bayberry, muddled with fresh blackberries and plums, garnished with a sprig of peppermint.
This smelled AMAZING in my hair. They are correct in that it is a refreshing floral, incredibly so. Light and airy, just a touch feminine, I really loved the florals that were brought to an almost clean note. I adored this scent.

I used this the day after a shower. Dry shampoo usually is incapable of doing a full clean, at least for me, but can usually mask the oils long enough for me to go out and do what I need to do and not look like a greasy kid. You can see the difference between the oily hair and the dry shampooed hair. It definitely helped. I tried to keep it mostly on the visible parts of my hair and out of my scalp. The part of my scalp it did hit left a residue that was almost gritty and itched like crazy. I kept scratching and finding the powder mixed with oils under my nails. I’ll definitely try it again a time or two, if only because I do love that smell.

Final Thoughts

All of these products go on individual sale this Friday, November 13th at 6 pm CST. Make sure to check it out of any of these appeal to you!

0 comments:

Post a Comment