Friday, March 27, 2015

By Unknown
Berry pink and ready for spring!

Lip-plumping products are really not all that magical, but they certainly are popular. From plumping balms to doe-foot applicator glosses, the basic idea behind them is all pretty much the same--an ingredient causes some type of irritation tingliness to push blood to the lips, giving a fuller appearance.

Silk Naturals might not be a fancypants newcomer to the indie scene. They're a well-established "oldie but goodie", and you know you can probably count on their products. One popular line is the Amplifying Lip Glazes, hopping on the plumping bandwagon. There are a whole assortment of colors, and "MORE ALGS PLEASE!" is usually one of the top requests each time a forum post about an upcoming collection is made. One of my favorites of the ALGs is the newer shade, Live.

Live

Twist-up tube of lip gloss for $4.50
Live is a sheer, cooler toned berry pink. It adds the perfect pop of casual color.
Amplifying Lip Glazes have a great glossy finish, a hint of tingly menthol, and  a special non-stinging lip plumper called Dipalmitoyl hydroxyproline.  It's an amino acid grafted onto a bit of palm oil that penetrates deeply to moisturize your lips and causes a contraction in the collagen fibers to make your lips appear fuller.
It's not an instant plumper- rather it helps to protect the collagen in your lips and provide a bit of extra fullness.  You won't get duck lips from it- just juicy, moist, slightly plump lips.  The more you use it the more it plumps, as the effect builds over time.
The ALGs from SN (so many acronyms!) all come in the same standard twist-up tube just like the other lip products offered. I prefer this slimmer tube to the thicker "lip balm" tubes other shops use because it makes for a more precise application...and I'm way too lazy to bust out a lip brush! They're also easier to stack in my purse, and I definitely do load up on plenty of ALGs.

"Live" is a newer ALG in a sheer berry shade of moderate depth. You can build it up, but it's not really opaque. It has a bit of a wet shimmer to it, which I prefer to a matte finish. It leans just a teeny bit warm but I think it'd be flattering on warm and cool undertones alike.

I'm not sure if there's any truth to the plumping effect claims - I've been using the Silk Naturals ALGs daily for almost two years, but I also have pretty decent lips to begin with. Like all the ALGs, Live packs a tingly punch for the first 10-15 minutes after application. For some people this is too much and they find it irritating, but I love it! It's like that cool refreshing feeling after brushing your teeth.

If you're looking for robustness and longevity though, I haven't really experienced any of the ALG shades lasting an incredibly long time, although Live has more staying power than some of my other favorites. Typically I'll apply some after brushing my teeth at 7AM before leaving for work - the mint tingle is gone by the time I arrive 20 minutes later, and after two cups of tea by 11AM it's mostly gone.

I originally purchased Live a few months back during the brutal winter snow, but I just couldn't justify reaching for it because it felt too bright and cheery. However, now that the 100"+ of snow is finally melting and the temperature is slowly climbing, it has entered my regular ALG morning rotation. I love how no-nonsense this color's application is as well - there are no bits of shimmer or glitter or interference. Duochromes and sparkles are lots of fun, but some days I just want a straight-up berry shade, and Live fits the bill!

PSA - If Live or any of the other ALGs strike your fancy (or just... you know, anything in the Silk Naturals catalog), use the code spring5 at checkout from now until April 3rd to get 5% off your order!

0 comments:

Post a Comment