Friday, March 6, 2015

By Kristin

Back in February, Limnit Lipsticks announced that they reformulated their lipstick base in preparation to re-release full-sized tubes - they've only carried mini jars for awhile now - and yesterday, they posted saying that all of the mini jars have been restocked in the new formula.

Every time I hear about a "reformulation," I get a tiny bit nervous about my stash. Do I need to replace all of my lipsticks? Is this new formula really better? Or should I start hoarding the old stuff since I'll never find it again?

Let's take a look! Limnit did an early release of their bestselling Goodness Graycious in this new formula and I grabbed a jar.


Here's a quick comparison of the ingredients lists. I've colored the ingredients that differ. In terms of what these materials do for the formula, I have no idea but I thought it might be useful for any of you with sensitivities. 

Old ingredients list: Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Ozokerite Wax, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C), Fragrance; May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 40 Lake (CI 16035), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Yellow 10 Lake (CI 47005)

New ingredients list: Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Caprylic/Capric/Stearic Glycerides, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Ozokerite Wax, Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Cannabis Sativa (Hemp) Seed Oil, Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vitamin C), Fragrance; May Contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Blue 1 Lake (CI 42090), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 28 Lake (CI 45410), Red 40 Lake (CI 16035), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140)


One of the (only) complaints that I've heard about the old Limnit formula is that it needs a little warming up to get out of the jar. My new jar was much softer from the get-go and didn't seem to need any of that frantic brushing I'd employ with the old jar. I'm not sure if this is entirely due to formula or because my older jar is -well- older but I don't recall the older jar ever being quite as easy to pick up as this new one.

Color-wise, there's no difference. Either the ingredients that changed don't alter the shade at all or the owner has a fantastic eye for this sort of thing - a plus to me in any case. The new formula is slightly more pigmented than the old formula. It was easier to put on an even coat and required less layers for the same level of color as the old formula.

The finish on the new formula is also the same "semi-matte" of before and I didn't see much of a difference even after a blot test, though I'd describe both as more of a satin.


In terms of wear, the new formula does fade a tiny bit faster on me than the old formula but not by much and my side-by-side lip test didn't look awkward even going on four hours of wear.

However, neither formula survived a bowl of spaghetti and tomato sauce -the formula didn't become magic in other words- and were both completely wiped out in a similar fashion.

In summary, if you have plenty of stock left in your old jars, you probably don't need to run to replace them all and don't worry, this stuff is still just as nice as the old stuff.

Purchase Link

If you haven't gotten a chance to try the brand yet, Limnit is having a pretty cool clearance sale on jars of their old formula with $3 grab bags of three different colors. They're offering a classic bag with more pinks and reds and a cool bag with more of the funky shades. The old formula is still excellent and I think this is a fantastic deal if you just want to sample. edit: Ack. It looks like they sold out really quickly.

What do you guys think? Have you tried Limnit yet?

0 comments:

Post a Comment