Saturday, February 15, 2014

By Unknown
Welcome to the continuation of our Colors of the Rainbow series! Last week, we showed you some of our favorite pinks and today we're showcasing the first color of the rainbow, red.


Kristin's pick - Fyrinnae's Purgatory 

We first posted Purgatory in a swatch post last August. It's a beautiful blackened red with shimmery red notes that seem to glow. It makes a fantastic liner and as an eyeshadow, well, Fyrinnae makes some of the best.

The eyeshadow is very pigmented and when used over a glitter glue (like Pixie Epoxy), the results are dramatic and bold. If you haven't tried Fyrinnae's eyeshadow formula yet, I'd highly recommend Purgatory as a great starting point!



Valentine's pick - Shiro's Unforgettable

Shiro's Unforgettable, from their Hunger games-theme Tributes collection, is described as "Hot pink-toned shimmery red with bright red sparks. Lip-safe!" I wouldn't personally describe it as a pink-toned red; I see it as more of an orangey russet red with generous doses of fine hot pink shimmer. Sheered out, the shimmer brushes away and the almost brownish russet base comes out more, making it look warmer and more matte, while applied full strength, the pink sparkle makes it appear like a cooler-toned, glittery, more intense red. This means it's a great option for making your eyeshadow look more complicated than it is--lay down a wash of Unforgettable on your lid and blend up into the crease for a gradient that shifts from cool to warm and sparkly to matte. (The swatch was done over Urban Decay Primer Potion and photographed in direct sunlight.) I haven't tried it on my lips yet, but if you're a fan of shimmer in your lip products, this would be a great option for either DIY lip color or a custom lip gloss.



AG's pick - Shiro's Red Wedding

As much as I admire the classic red lip on other people, I prefer my reds a little darker. When I'm in the mood for a seriously glossy red, Shiro's gloss in Red Wedding from the Seven Kingdoms Collection is my absolute favorite. It's opaque enough to give a lovely, rich color, but has just enough translucency to give it depth and interest. And as I've raved many times before, Shiro's gloss formula is absolutely top notch! If you want to read my full review, along with a look at the rest of the collection, you can check it out here.




Lisa's pick - OHWTO's Tea Rose Mimosa

What does "red" smell like? Maybe cakey red velvet, or sultry red musk - but a classic "red" scent to me has to be roses! One Hand Washes the Other (OHWTO)'s now-discontinued (but sometimes making a surprise appearance in the shop) Tea Rose Mimosa is described as, "Red Tea, white rose, and raw honey; brewed, cooled, and splashed with sparkling champagne and served upon an antique wooden tray. A soft, delicate scent- rose haters, this one might just steal your heart." (Humorously enough, the roses in this fragrance are specifically identified as white, but the tea is red!) While I don't consider myself a rose hater, my skin chemistry doesn't tend to cooperate nicely with rose fragrances.

However, this rose scent is so unlike the others I've tried! The fizzy champagne serves as an excellent companion to the roses and adds a very fresh, almost-soapy-but-not-in-a-bad-way twist, keeping it from turning way too floral. I can pick up a bit of sweetness, and red tea by nature has a bit of a natural sweetness to begin with. The fantastic thing about Tea Rose Mimosa is that it's never too floral or too sweet, and as it wears on neither really overwhelms the other. I find even after 12 hours I can still pick up soft traces of it on my skin, and it hugs just close enough that I'll catch a wisp of it every so often. Classy, feminine and romantic, I hope it makes a comeback in the shop's lineup someday!



Jeannie's pick - Dreamworld Hermetica's Elven Sky

Elven Sky Magick Lip Wand is a deep brownish-red liquid lipstick. On the Dreamworld Hermetica site, it's described as a "deep dark burgundy with shimmers throughout," and even though it looks quite red in the tube, it definitely appears more burgundy when applied. I received a full size of this in my $5 promotional kit (read about Valentine's experience here). I was expecting a red, shimmery lipgloss and was pleasantly surprised to find out it was a thinner, opaque, liquid lipstick consistency and very comfortable to wear. The shimmer is fine so it doesn't feel gritty, and even though it's not everybody's favourite, I do like the metallic sheen that it gives off at certain angles.

What are your favorite red indie products? Let us know in the comments!

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

1 comments:

  1. Purgatory IS awesome. I also love BFTE's Addition (one of the truest eyeshadow reds I have ever seen)

    ReplyDelete