Saturday, February 8, 2014

By Unknown





We've decided to jump on the tags bandwagon, starting with the Colors of the Rainbow tag. We haven't been tagged by anyone but we were really excited by this one.

How it works is that everyone on our team is going to pick their favorite item in all the colors/resembling all the colors/packaged in all the colors of the rainbow. Our blogger team is a little too large to put them all in one post so we're going to split it up by color and since Valentine's Day is just around the corner, we're going to start with pinks! Yes, it's not technically a "color of the rainbow" but there are tons of great indie pinks and we didn't want to leave out any great formulas.

Jeannie's Pick - Innocent + Twisted Alchemy's Pink Liquor, a Multi-Purpose Pink

I'm a sucker for lip-safe pink eyeshadows, because then they can double up as lip colours. My pick is a limited edition eyeshadow from Innocent + Twisted Alchemy's 2011 Holiday collection, and in the photo I'm wearing it as a cheek colour, and pressed onto my lips over a clear lip balm as a lip shade. On the site it's described as "a bold pink with a lavender sheen and golden sparkles," it is safe for eyes, lips, and face, and is not vegan. I find the lavender sheen to be more apparent when I mix it with a lip balm and wear it as a lip colour. Since it's limited edition, it's currently on sale for just $2 for a full 5g jar, so if this pink is something you're after, pick it up before it's gone!







Kristin's Pick - Madd Style Cosmetics's Hello Sweetie, matte eyeshadow galore

If this one looks familiar to you, it's because it was a part of this swatch post from last year. But it's such a great shade that it's worth the double posting. 

I really love Madd Style Cosmetic's Dr Who Mattes. They have a great formula with vivid pigmentation and Hello Sweetie is no exception. It's a bold hot pink shade with enough purple elements in it that it can apply either a bolder pink or a very strong fuchsia. Completely matte. 

This shade, applied lightly, would also make a great blush. It's approved for eyes, lips, and face. 







Valentine's Pick - Fyrinnae's Visual Kei Lip Lustre, a wearable hot pink 

We reviewed this as part of the big Fyrinnae Lip Lustres roundup last year. I love the formula of Fyrinnae lip lustres, but not always all their colors, since some of them are too shimmery or pale for me--however, the very bright but slightly translucent and shimmer-free formula of this color pushed all the right buttons. It's hot pink, but a supremely wearable hot pink, not as opaque and neon as a shade like MAC Candy Yum Yum or Chanel La Diva. I don't know how well it fits into the real visual kei aesthetic--a quick Google search makes it seem like either nude or vampy lips are more popular options--but regardless, it's a great, cheerful pick-me-up color for drab winter days.   



AG's Pick - Darling Girl's Soft Focus Blush in Cheeky, a great color in a perfect formula


I purchased a sample of Darling Girl's blush "Cheeky" in the Soft Focus formula as part of my very first order from the brand. Though all my purchases were lovely, this is one of the products that made me really fall head over heels for Darling Girl!

I can't find an official description of the Soft Focus formula, but it's one of my absolute favorite powder blush formulas. I find it almost melds with my skin; if you enlarge the collage at left, you'll see the blended out swatch looks more like a stain than a powder product. The bubblegum pink looks a little intimidating in the full-on swatch, but it blends out to a lovely natural color on my pale, warm-toned complexion. The finish is very nearly matte, but it has the slightest hint of luminosity that helps it look like an integral part of my skin. I adore it!




Lisa's Pick - Silk Naturals's Strawberry Fields, a sheer berry jelly lip gloss

Silk Naturals Strawberry Fields Review
When it comes to lip products, I'm about as conservatively safe as you can get. Electric corals and black raspberry? No thanks! So when I bought Strawberry Fields from Silk Naturals, even that was considered a pretty daring purchase for me. My gutsy choice paid off though - I had my first kiss wearing this lip gloss! (Haha.)


Strawberry Fields is a vibrantly bright reddish pink berry color. It's sheer so even if you're like me and find this to be a little out of your comfort zone, you can easily build it up or keep it sheer. It's in the Silk Naturals Slick Stick formula, so unlike some of my lipsticks and other glosses, it stays pretty smooth and doesn't pill up while I'm wearing it. It's chock full of moisturizing ingredients (such as jojoba, avocado, cranberry, raspberry, and passionfruit oils) which keeps my lips from drying out. The color leans ever-so-slightly cool, but I can see this easily working on warm and cool skintones alike. So even though I don't reach for this color much, I know that when I'm feeling brave it will back me up and stick around looking and feeling great!

We'd love to invite some of our favorite bloggers to get them in on the fun! We tag Nicci, Phyrra, Mai, Luna, and Mandy! We also tag all the fantastic bloggers in /r/indiemakeupandmore!

2 comments:

  1. What a fun tag! Can't wait to do it - just need enough light for pictures :-)

    ReplyDelete