Sunday, October 23, 2016

By Unknown

Lucky 13 Lacquer 
Part 3 of 3 - Top Coats and an Overall Review

End stretch! Time to talk formulas! In this post, we’ll cover the base coat, the two top coats, and a general review of the nail polish itself. And we will have covered all of Lucky 13 that I currently can cover! Let’s review things!

Pop & Peel Base Coat

This sounds like the worst idea in the world when you first see it. It lets your polish peel off? What the hell? Well, if perhaps, you swatch several nail colors a day, or hate trying to get glitter polishes off, or want your nail polish off the second it chips, this really isn’t such a bad idea. You apply the base coat, let it dry, and then apply your polish and top coat like normal. It will either peel on its own with time, or you can stick your nails under water and peel them off as soon as you like.

If you pick at your polish, this is great. It doesn’t affect your nail. It peels off cleanly without destroying the smoothness of your nail or anything like that. And mostly of them will peel off the whole nail cleanly- I hoarded all of my peels so you could see the results. The ones that had the hardest time peeling cleanly were the ones that I had problems getting them to dry in the humidity. They tended to peel in pieces, but otherwise it was a clean peel every time with the whole color to most of the color coming off.


Elemental Ward Top Coat

This top coat was made to be the best in top coats, not dulling the natural shine of the polish and cracking hard to prevent chipping as much as possible. It was great for both. I showed the matte top coat and the Elemental Ward top coat side by side with a bare nail, so you could see the difference. My index finger is bare; middle finger is the matte coat; and ring finger is the Elemental Ward. They are on top of Always Be a Princess. I think this top coat even added a little extra shine to the nail. This is a great top coat that will definitely help your polish from chipping.

We’re All Matte Here Top Coat

If you’ve ever wanted to keep your mattes matte and still use a top coat, this is the solution for you. You can also put it on a glossy finish polish to mute it a little. I’m a little iffy on theory vs. execution. I notice particularly with the shiny finish polishes, there is a distinct color change, which makes me a little shy on the idea of using it regularly. You can see in the photo that the pink is actually quite dulled next to the Elemental Ward Top Coat. On a more matte finish, it seems to be less affected, so it will be great for my naturally matte polishes, but I probably won’t use it on the glossy finishes.

Nail Polish Formula

I have used a few indie nail polishes to date. Many of them haven’t been reviewed because I was either displeased with the formula, they were passed off to me by someone who had already reviewed them or I am just notoriously forgetful about remembering that I can review these and I’ve passed them off. This is a solid 2nd place for me in terms of formula. It was too thin for my tastes. I much prefer Black Phoenix Trading Post for nail polish, which is nice and thick. One of these polishes actually chipped in the time it took me to walk to our rooftop dog park from our apartment to take photos. I prefer to not top coat most days. It’s a weird hold over from dance, and I want something that’s a little less likely to chip so quickly.

Final Thoughts

This is a really fun company. They have so many selections on finish and color and funny little things like thermals and ones with huge chunks of glitter in them! If you’re looking for a unique nail polish that will make your nails stand out ahead of the crowd, this is absolutely the way to go. What’s your favorite indie nail polish company? Let us know in the comments!

0 comments:

Post a Comment