Saturday, November 5, 2016

By Unknown

Solstice Scents 
Conjure Dark Perfume Review
Amber, Frankincense, Sweet Incense Smoke, Dried Rose Petals, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Woods, Oud, Vanilla
I promised this was incoming, and here it is! Conjure Dark! If my memory is correct, this was one of the first new EDPs released last year when Solstice came back from vacation. When it came out, I decided against it because I have a jar of Conjure body ganache from last Autumn, and it aged to a vanilla scent that is just too sweet for my tastes. I assumed Conjure Dark was built on Conjure (it’s not), and I didn’t want to end up with a perfume that I hated. But then I went through a Solstice crave this summer, and bought 2 sample packs to try a bunch of scents. And the scent notes for Conjure Dark are all things I love. So hating a sample wouldn’t be a big deal.

I love this perfume. I love it so much, I bought it as a full size oil. And then this past July, I bought it as an EDP. This scent is a marriage of notes, drying down to basically exactly what you smell when you first apply it. It is masterful. It smells like a spicy amber to me with touches of woods and vanilla, which doesn’t sound nearly complex enough, but is ridiculously so and absolutely lovely. This perfume is the epitome of why we shop indie- I would never find this scent in a drugstore or a department store- this is a scent meant for the person who loves to smell a little mysterious, a little dark, and a whole lot unique.

To note, there is a difference between EDP and oil. I have no idea where it is. When I sniff both of them from the bottle, they smell exactly the same. When I use the EDP, the scent feels incomplete, like I’m only getting some of the notes. I thought maybe I just wasn’t using enough, but using more heavily hasn’t fixed the problem yet. It might be that I am still spraying the EDP on my skin and not on my clothes, so my skin just isn’t playing nice with the alcohol formula. I am beginning to really love the application of oils as oppose to EDPs though, so I can switch my scents daily (Don’t look at me like that- you don’t wear the same sweatshirt two days in a row? They’re comfy!).

To be clear- I LOVE this perfume. I don’t regret buying the EDP. It is probably the best perfume I’ve tried in the past 3 years, and I bought a Diptyque EDP a couple of years ago. I think the only perfumes that overshadows Conjure Dark are other Solstice perfumes that I've fallen in love with after they've spent some time quietly aging into an orgasmic scents of delight.

0 comments:

Post a Comment