Friday, December 18, 2015

By Unknown
I talked briefly about Rituel de Fille's Ash & Ember Eye Soot in my Company Overview post back in February, but I thought I'd give a few more thoughts about the product since Rituel de Fille just started offering samples!

Side note: I've seen a bit of complaining online about the size and cost of the samples ($15 plus shipping for 5 samples good for 1-2 uses each, but with a $10 coupon included with them), but I don't really have a problem with this, personally. The samples are in line with the general pricing for the line. (Which is pricey, but let's be real, more than anything, price buys the feeling of luxury and not necessarily quality. Generally nobody knows what you have on your face once it's on there.) And I don't quite see why anyone would buy a full size if the sample is enormous and never runs out.

The Ash and Ember Eye Soot ($27 for 0.2 oz/5.75 g) is a cream eyeshadow that comes in a beautiful but tiny hexagonal glass jar with a black top. This color is called Golden Age, and here are pictures of the jar with a penny and some other common cream eyeshadows for size comparison (a Maybelline Color Tattoo and a MAC Paint Pot):
With a penny for size comparison
Top to bottom: Maybelline Color Tattoo, Rituel de Fille Eye Soot, MAC Paint Pot
It's hard to get at the shadow with your fingers, if that's your thing (I always apply cream eyeshadows with my fingers, personally). I can only get at the product with my pinky. The texture is rather dry and crumbly-feeling, without the creamy, unctuous feeling of most other cream shadows I've tried.

I think it's beautiful, though--a medium cool golden-toned brown that looks like bronzey antique gold in the light, smoky cool taupe brown in shadow, and applies with a glowy satin finish. It looked great just applied to the mobile lid and smoked out at the edges, with some black liner. I did get some creasing with this shade by about 4 hours into wear, but it stayed better over primer. Here are some photos of it on my eyes, no primer--looks a bit warmer on my eyes than I remembered:




I love the packaging and the product, but I have mixed feelings about whether it's worth $27, given the tiny size of the jar and the non-bulletproof wear time. At that price point, for a cream shadow, I'd rather have a Laura Mercier Caviar Stick or a couple of Kiko eyeshadow sticks. Still, if you want to treat yourself to a beautiful and special little product, and this appeals to you, I'd say go for it! I think it's a quality product and a lovely color.



Swatched without primer, natural light

0 comments:

Post a Comment