Tuesday, December 1, 2015

By Unknown



The snow is drifting down outside my window and my thoughts are quickly turning from fall to winter perfumes. There's a lot of overlap in the cozy warm spices category, but I think of minty vanilla scents as solidly in the "winter" category, so I thought I'd review one of my old winter perfume favorites, Solstice Scents Snowshoe Pass. Kristin talked about the soap form of this scent last year, but I thought I'd revisit it since it should be coming into the Solstice Scents seasonal rotation soon!

Price: It's not up yet, but based on other seasonal scent prices, I assume it will be $15 for a 10 mL blue glass rollerball of perfume oil.
Samples: Should be available as part of a sample pack soon; prices generally work out to $2.80 a sample.
(More details about price and shipping can be found in our Company Overview post about Solstice Scents.)
Description from the website: "White Amber, White Musk, Vanilla Accord, Peppermint Cream, Cold Winds. A Best Seller! (Perfume, Ganache, Whipped Soap, Burnishing Glace, Sugared Amber Whipped Cleansing Scrub)."

Snowshoe Pass is a soft vanilla mint scent with a distinct, comforting muskiness. It smells very sweet and rounded to me, and I really like the fact that it doesn't smell sharp or biting, which mint scents and white musk scents can both have a tendency to do. It also doesn't come across as cloying to me, despite its sweetness; the creamy vanilla notes are tempered by a sort of pine woodsy, faintly animalic whiff that keeps it from smelling fully edible. The mint isn't too strong--it adds just a touch of freshness without being too overt.

It smells pillowy and sweet and comforting, like untoasted marshmallows, or if you were somehow able to subtract the cacao from a cup of mint hot chocolate--not the dark, rich, thick gourmet kind, but the powdered artificial stuff that gets a pale froth on top when you add hot milk, and yet is supremely comforting in the same lowbrow way as Kraft Mac and Cheese or a PB&J on white bread.

I only own a few full-sized perfumes from Solstice Scents, and this was one of them that I went after a full size of the moment I smelled the sample. (The others being Manor and Cenobite, RIP!) If you enjoy vanilla musk scents, I would personally recommend doing the same once it becomes available on the Solstice Scents site. This scent makes me want to curl up under a blanket with a cup of tea and watch the snow accumulate outside my window.

For other opinions, check out the Solstice Scents forums, Eye Heart It, Evolution of a Foodie, or Brightest Star of All.

Note: this scent is vegan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment