Tuesday, January 21, 2014

By Unknown
Tilt-A-Whirl, 

Do you find yourself trying to appear more grown up? Plagued with a cute baby face? Maybe you're a bit on the short side, or maybe you just are blessed with youthful genes. Either way, many people agree that certain fragrances are more "youthful" than others - as mentioned in the Beginner's Guide to Fragrances, there are even studies that point to grapefruit "smelling" younger to people!

So what do you do when you're trying to present yourself as being older and mature, but all the scents you're drawn to are youthful? What if I *like* fruity citrus fragrances? Darling Clandestine's Tilt-A-Whirl sounded like a promising compromise of the things I look for in my fragrances.

Tilt-A-Whirl
If you love whimsical, almost borderline purple-prose style perfume descriptions, you will enjoy pouring over Darling Clandestine's writeups. Baring the whimsy, at its core Tilt-A-Whirl is described as such:

"[T]his is a bright, citrusy fragrance that begins fruity and ends mellow and herbal and almost grown up. :)  It was designed at the request of the wholly awesome supreme nerd goddess Caitlin at Shiro Cosmetics, who wanted something orangey and passionfruity but not too sweet, and who knows a little something about brilliant color and fantastic blending herself. She's graciously allowed me to share it with you."

How is that not a trifecta of awesome?! A fruity blend, a grown-up dry-down, and Caitlin from Shiro Cosmetics! I actually received a small sample vial in my first Darling Clandestine order, but I sprang for the full-sized bottle when I saw it go up on sale.

Tilt-A-Whirl initially smells off-putting from a cold sniff from the vial. There is something sort of heavy and "cough medicine-y" about it. Luckily none of that really transfers to the skin once you apply it. This isn't a juicy fruit fragrance - it smells more like... stewed fruits, if that makes sense. It's sort of a darker fruit, and if I had to pick a color for it I'd say red is very fitting. It smells red and fruity. I personally don't detect much of the passionfruity orange (which I would have loved) - there's definitely some zing, but it seems more watermelon-cherry to me. 

Duration: Sometimes I wonder if maybe my nose just isn't refined enough to wholly appreciate Darling Clandestine's fragrances because for me I didn't really pick up on a "mellow, herbal grown-up" dry-down. Instead it sort of turned "herbally fruit plastic" - like a scented fruit marker that's been sitting out a bit too long. 

I still like it of course, but the dry-down was not my favorite part. However, Tilt-A-Whirl has awesome staying power - this stuff  lasts! I actually put a teeny bit in my hair for a date and was surprised when I went to wash it the next day and could still smell it.

Score: 4.5/5
Despite the funky drydown, Tilt-A-Whirl does fit the bill for being a more grown-up fruity fragrance. It's not quite what I had hoped (more zingy passionfruit, less cherry please!) but I still enjoyed it and wear it a few times a month. I'd love to see Darling Clandestine dabble more in fragrances like this!

0 comments:

Post a Comment