Thursday, January 30, 2014

By Unknown

I first heard about Innocent + Twisted Alchemy right here on Indie Know from Kristin's fabulous swatches and praise of the formula (yes, we enable each other too!). I was intrigued by the artistry of the packaging and of course the pigmentation from Kristin's swatches so when they had a sale, I decided to give them a go.

Packaging: 

Cutest packing tape
My goodies arrived in a padded envelope, and the seal was covered with funky packaging tape. Inside there was red bubble wrap around a pink ziploc bag with an owl, all secured with more decorative tape. I love all the little extra details of pretty prints and colours for something that is usually so plain and boring!



Red bubble wrap!
My order contained mostly sample clamshells, which were fine in transit despite not having any seal (though I don't think seals would be necessary, the clamshells do require some force to open so they're not likely to leak). I don't mind the clamshell, they're sturdier than bags and take up less space than screw-top jars. However you will need to take a bit of care when opening them because I have heard that some people make a bit of a mess when opening them. What I normally do is drop the clamshells from a few inches above my surface a couple of times then tap the lid to dislodge any excess powder that may be clinging to it. I haven't had any major spills yet (fingers crossed!). I have one full-sized jar which is a screw-top lid on a square base, the rim was wrapped with decorative tape, I assume for security during transit.


Kristin adds: I also wanted to briefly mention the beautiful collection artwork! The owner does most of the anime-esque artwork by herself but also occasionally partners with other artists to do some of the design work - as in the Hagelstram Arsenal! Purchasing a full collection also usually includes a larger (usually around 2"x3") version of the eyeshadow artwork.

Selection: 

Currently on offer are eyeshadows and a subscription service (which I personally haven't tried but I've seen some great reviews so far). There are several themed collections, some of which are limited edition. Full-sized eyeshadows packed full into a 5g jar. If you're feeling indecisive or are unsure where to start, you can order a Grande Lucky Pack (5 random full-sized jars) or a Petite Lucky Pack (5 random clamshells).

Samples: 

Samples are $3 and are packed into clamshells. While they do cost more than most brands' samples, they are very generously filled and would probably last at least 10 applications. You can see how fully packed they are in Kristin's Curios Night Spotlight Collection. With my order I also received two free sample baggies.

The sample clamshells do not list ingredients, but they do list eye/lip/face safety and whether or not the shade is vegan. The freebie sample baggies contain a full ingredient listing.

Sample clamshells and freebie sample baggies

Quality:

Innocent + Twisted Alchemy's eyeshadow formula is definitely one of my favourites of all the indie eyeshadows I've tried. I was really blown away by the smoothness and pigmentation when I applied them dry over Urban Decay's Primer Potion.

Cost:

Prices start at $3 for samples, $6 for full-sized eyeshadows. In the sale section, samples are $2 and full-sized eyeshadows are $4.
 
Customer Service:

I contacted customer service once with a shipping inquiry, and received a response within 10 minutes as well as a bonus personalized code :)


Kristin's incredible swatches of the Endless Rain Collection - I am in full agreement with her, you NEED the Endless Rain eyeshadow!  

TAT:

The current turn-around-time listed on the site is 10-14 business days. My package was shipped 5 days after I had placed my order.

Shipping:

Flat-rate shipping for the United States is $3.50, and $6.50 for international shipping. The FAQ page states that domestic orders take from 2-10 business days from the stated TAT (meaning not from the date the order was placed) to arrive, and international orders can take between 2 and 12 weeks.

My order reached me in Western Australia one month (21 business days) after I placed it, which for me is about an average amount of time (not excessively long that I need be concerned).

Owl ziploc bag, business card, and ingredient listing from the Holiday 2011 LE Collection


Personal Thoughts:

If I haven't made it clear by now, I love not only the eyeshadow quality, but all the little attention to the details of packaging! I would lose so many hours in whatever store the packaging supplies are bought from. And of course the artwork on the eyeshadows themselves, I love how the themed collections have their own art which adorn the jars and even the sample clamshells. I haven't found any faults yet, my one request would be to see some products other than eyeshadows added to the brand, a Google search yielded a limited edition blush that is no longer available but I'd love to see some permanent blushes/lip products. Another thing I like about Innocent + Twisted Alchemy is that the owner, Linda, is very support of other indie brands, including them in her subscription box and regularly sharing updates from other indie brands on Innocent + Twisted Alchemy's Facebook page.  

Kristin adds: Though I absolutely LOVE Innocent + Twisted Alchemy, one thing I'd like to mention is that the eyeshadows are all VERY shimmery. If glitters and shimmers aren't your thing, ITA's current lineup may not be for you. With that said, some are definitely more shimmery than others so definitely take a look at what they have!

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

0 comments:

Post a Comment