Tuesday, November 5, 2013

By Unknown


The fresh vegetal smell of jack o' lanterns being carved, the warm cozy pleasure of pumpkin pie hot out of the oven, the smoky perfume of burning leaf piles and cool earth damp with rain--the sensory pleasures of autumn are many, but one of the chiefest of these pleasures is apple cider donuts. I recently went to a corn maze and bought a cinnamon-scented bag of crumbly, moist, cakey apple cider donuts to take home with me and extend the pleasure of the fall afternoon; those are gone now, but Blooddrop's Apple Cider Doughnuts and Chocolate-Covered Apple Cider Doughnuts perfumes let me relive those scents and feelings for even longer into the fall and winter.

Price: $15 for a 5 mL amber glass bottle of perfume oil with polyseal cap.
Shipping: "USA Shipping rates (via Priority Mail): under $101: $6.50, under $201: $12.50, under $301: $18.50, $301 & up: $26.50. Non-USA Shipping rates (Priority Mail): Under $175: $25, Under $275: $35, Under $375: $70. PLEASE EMAIL FOR BASIC AIRMAIL RATES."
Samples: Not available for limited edition scents.
Description from the website:
  • Apple Cider Doughnut: "Apple Cider and spice doughnuts dusted with cinnamon sugar." 
  • Chocolate-Covered Apple Cider Doughnut: "The ever-popular Apple Cider Doughnut recipe plus a chocolate glaze. (Given out last year as a thank you gift called Derprise.)"
Personal Thoughts:
Apple Cider Doughnuts is an extremely popular limited edition scent available from Blooddrop around the Halloween season; last year, Blooddrop's owner made a special variation called "Durprise" (or Derprise? My bottle says Durprise) as a surprise gift for customers, consisting of the apple cider doughnuts scent with chocolate added in.

Durprise is back this year as a fellow limited edition offering, renamed as Chocolate-Covered Apple Cider Doughnut, so you can get your hands on it through the magic of cold hard cash rather than the luck of receiving a surprise gift (which I've found Blooddrop sends quite often, and above and beyond the normal sample vial or two thrown into most indie perfume packages--if you spend $50 with Blooddrop, you'll generally receive an entire free 5 mL bottle of one of the Merci series of surprise perfumes in your package!)

This is a review of last year's vintages, but I'm assuming they haven't changed too much since last year. I believe I purchased ACD and was sent Durprise as a free gift/sample along with my package.

(Note: my bottle has Apple Cider Doughnuts, plural, written on it, but the website has Apple Cider Doughnut, singular--actually "Doughtnut [sic]"--so I'm not sure if the official name of the scent is singular or plural. I will use the plural in this review since that's what my bottle says.)

Apple Cider Doughnuts definitely smells mostly like cinnamon-spiced, fruity, slightly dry apple cider straight out of the bottle and wet on the skin. The apple note smells quite natural to me, and the cinnamon isn't overwhelming. There is a hint of mellow sweetness from the doughnut/cake note, but you could have easily told me this was just "Apple Cider" and I wouldn't have thought twice about it--the "doughnut" part of this isn't very prominent on my skin.

It's very nice to wear; foodie, gourmand scents can sometimes be overwhelming to me (I have a couple of cake perfumes that used to be favorites, but I haven't worn them in ages because the sweetness and butteriness have been too much for me lately) but this is a lovely way to just smell like spicy autumn goodness without smelling like potpourri or smelling too ultra-sweet or ultra-rich.

Durprise/CCACD has the same apple cider accord in its undertones, but it's drowned out under a huge waft of caramelly, slightly artificial-smelling milk chocolate at first--it's the brash, waxy smell of chocolate-flavored candy instead of the rich, bitter smell of real chocolate.

As the scent dries down, the chocolate blast mellows out and the cider doughnut scent emerges. It is sweeter than ACD, and it smells a bit artificial to me early on in its wear, but it's quite lovely once it has dried down--a similar autumn scent but with the chocolate note lending a sweet overtone and complexity, and the baked goods note standing out a bit more in this variation as well.

Still, I prefer the original Apple Cider Doughnuts on the (w)hole (ha, get it?). I will wear Durprise if I don't want to smell so overtly fruity and bright, since the chocolate smooths and mellows out the apple cider doughnut base scent. ACD can smell a little sharp or sour and Durprise smells richer, fuller.

If you enjoy the scent, in addition to the perfume, you can also purchase Apple Cider Doughnuts-scented Bath Sparklers, Bath Oil, Flutter, Linen & Chamber spray, Kiss Kiss lip balm, or Cider & Honey Soothing Soak.

This review is making me hungry. Off to enjoy some pumpkin-flavored Greek yogurt and a cup of coffee... or perhaps I'll swing by the local bakery and see if they still have any cider doughnuts available?

Note: these scents are vegan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment