Thursday, October 3, 2013

By Kristin




 
Scaredy Cat Cosmetics is on my favorites list this week. With unique, gorgeous eyeshadows inside really fantastic packaging, they've been setting the bar pretty high for any indies that feel up to the challenge.
 
Now there are several indies with amazing eyeshadow formulas and Scaredy Cat is definitely one of them but where they completely stand out is in their packaging.
 

 
Packaging:
Well no, not this mailing packaging but let's cover it anyway just to be complete. Sample only packs come in a small mailing box, tucked into a plastic ziplock and wrapped in tissue paper. Any larger orders comes in a larger sized box filled with shredded paper as padding.
 
The jar packaging is really what's awesome.  

 
Sample Vial, Old Jar, New Jar
The owner of Scaredy Cat designs unique artwork for every eyeshadow. And not just one picture but an entire wrap around the jar design. I can't even imagine how much work must go into it. Eyeshadows are named very appropriately and the artwork is created with that in mind.
 
In early August, Scaredy Cat decided to switch away from the triangle jars that they were using to a new round jar. The old jars are very iconic with 2 artwork sides and a window to see the shadow. Unfortunately, it was pretty difficult to get the eyeshadow actually out using the sifter. I'm sure there's still plenty of these jars floating around though so here's a quick picture of what they look like. These old jars held 4g of product. 
 
Old jar example: Arctic Royale
I admit to being a little wary when Scaredy Cat decided on these round jars. I mean, my triangle jars fit so nicely into each other, how am I going to organize now?

But seriously, I don't even care about that anymore because the owner did such a fantastic job.

New jar example: Unicorn Breath
From the logo on the cap to the wrap around design, this is just completely amazing. And the fact that every old eyeshadow is getting this design just screams of dedication since this owner takes the time to pose some really awesome pictures on her store. Take a look if you're curious!

Sifter comparison
The new sifter is a huge improvement over the old one. It has bigger holes and it's much easier to remove. It also closes with a tiny plastic cap, making it much less likely that there will be any accidental spillage or leaking.


These round jars hold 5g of product and will be priced at the same rate as the other jars were.





Selection: 
Since the eyeshadows are all being converted to their new round jars, there are a lot of listings missing from the Etsy store at the moment. There's a note that says to contact the owner for a custom listing of any shadow that hasn't been listed yet.

If I consider the entire collection of eyeshadows, Scaredy Cat has a fantastic variety (well, they don't have any mattes but lots of variety if you like glitter and shimmer). I'm especially a fan of their really unique duochromes. Niflheim especially is one of my favorites.

Eyeshadows are NOT all vegan but vegan eyeshadows are tagged in Etsy for easier searching.

Samples:
This is another thing that Scaredy Cat does differently. Instead of offering the standard sample baggie or a sample jar, they sell these "Trial Vials."

These vials are actually a really good deal for a sample size. They're $1 each and contain 1/4 tsp of product. Unfortunately, they're pretty annoying to deal with since they're especially tiny and in order to use any of it, you have to dump the shadow out. It can get a little messy, take it from me.

The website listing also suggests using these vials as refills if you run out in a bigger jar. Of course, this is a little less useful without a bigger jar.

Cost:
Full sized eyeshadows are $5 and sample vials are $1. Shipping within the US is a flat $3, $7 to Canada and $9 everywhere else.

Customer Service:
I had a small problem where I ordered 2 sets of 10 sample vials and I only got one of them in the mail. I asked the seller if another one was coming and she apologized profusely. She sent me the second set right away along with a free full sized eyeshadow.

In the "Shipping & Policies" section, it says: "We'll exchange or refund the full purchase price of any item, sealed or opened." I haven't seen this as a common thing among indies and it's definitely awesome that Scaredy Cat does this.

TAT:
The website states: "All orders will be shipped within seven days of purchase. We make every effort to get them out the next day or even the same day when possible." Personally, I got an email saying my order had shipped after 3 days and the package was in my hands 5 days later (8 days after the purchase).

Personal Thoughts:
I highly recommend trying out Scaredy Cat Cosmetics. I've been impressed with everything that I've tried from the company and I'm excited to be a regular repeat customer.


Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

1 comments:

  1. Those jars! and vials! I've been resisting this company for a while, purely based on international shipping cost but this post has pushed me over the edge. Must. Try. Asap.

    ReplyDelete