Sunday, August 23, 2015

By Unknown


Future Primitive 
Summer Scent Review 2015

It seems only just yesterday we were discovering Future Primitive and their General Catalogue with a smattering of Spring, and here we are with our first seasonal release! So let’s look at all these fabulous, summery smells!

Note: Future Primitive is currently on vacation so orders won't be shipping until after August 30th, the same date that they're releasing their Autumn scents!

Cold Pillow 

A cool, cotton pillow filled with cotswold lavender buds, scented geranium leaves & Indian vetiver grass. The perfect place to rest your head on a hot summers afternoon. 
I personally didn’t buy anything in this scent, but hopefully AG or Kristin can fill you in.


Kristin adds: I picked this one up in scrub form. Cold Pillow is a darker relation to Sylph of the general catalog. Where Sylph is sugar and sweet and almost a candied lavender, Cold Pillow is a bit muskier and even the lavender note seems to take on a heavier appeal. The lavender is definitely there but it takes more of a back seat to the other notes to make a really well-blended combination of a heavier sweetness.

Dusty Dogwood 

Inside Dusty Dogwood’s flour mill & bakery, gooseberry & elderflower puddings are the order of the day with lashings of toasted coconut cream!
I was lucky enough to get to steal this out of Kristin and AG’s order as a bar soap sample. This is a fantastic soap to have in the kitchen; the scent melds really well with the food smells. Mr. J says that this makes an amazing Autumn scent for him and refuses to believe it’s a summer scent. I wish I could pick out the scents and explain them to you, but they blend really well for me into this fantastic scent that I really enjoy.

Kristin adds:  Unfortunately, this one wasn't one of my favorites. I was pretty surprised since I usually lean towards the gourmand scents. To me, Dusty Dogwood has almost a sour scent to it. I'm not sure what the cause is - I suspect the gooseberry - sticks out to my nose and takes the scrub in a weird direction. I can't pick out the coconut at all but I do recognize the sweet elderflower. The sweetness of the elderflower contrasts with the gooseberry and to my nose, not a great combination.

Indian Temple Attar

Aromatic mahogany rose petals dipped in patchouli & mysore sandalwood oil with a layer of rich vanilla & labdanum absolute.
I only have bar soap as a reference for you on this, and as soap, it fell really flat. Really flat. I even cut into the soap to check. It smells like slightly floral clay. I’m hoping that this was just because this particular bar did something weird and everyone else got a great scented product because it’s a beautiful scent list that I would love to smell.

The Warror was the perfect LEGO bazooka.

The Warrior

A salty, wooden warship misted with sea-spray. The scent of tarred rope, crates of Israeli figs, citrus fruits & rich spices warmed by the sun & the rarest frankincense & amber resins wrapped in sail cloth.
I bought this as a scrub and then as a whipped soap, and they react the same way. While they’re dry, they smell like a lovely, rounded, masculine cologne. Then it gets wet, and it smells strongly of figs and citrus fruits with touches of masculinity, which is a little weird. But it you put nose up to it and smell it again, it smells like “idealized tar,” in the way that you would think “idealized leather.” It’s sticky and masculine and oh so yummy. I love it dry, I love it up close while wet. I am ambivalent about it in the middle range. Mr. J loves it though and has gone through half the scrub already. This scrub was the first label I have lost on any indie bottle, so it’s decorating my shower wall right now.

Railroad Markets

Freshly cut limes & sugar rocks imported from the West Indies, mangoes from India & coconuts from Fiji - all available this Friday from your local railroad markets!
This is another one we only tried in bar soap form. AG very sweetly cut me a generous sample off her bar for me to try. I killed it in less than a week. I loved it. It’s a collection of fruits put together in a new light to inspire a new take on fruity, summer freshness. I will definitely be buying more of this next summer if it makes a comeback. I loved it.

Kristin adds: I also got a cut off of AG's bar and it smells like a sweet fruit punch. Not quite as sweet as Hawaiian Punch but still reminiscent.

Strawberry Patch: The whipped soap is pink!

Strawberry Patch

Fresh, plump heritage strawberries, double cream and a dribble of cocoa absolute.
My first note on this one is “foam at the mouth noises.” It smells like the strawberry hard candy in the strawberry wrapper with the jelly center. It’s exactly like strawberries in cream pie drizzled in chocolate without the pie crust. Strawberries and cream with just a touch of hardened chocolate. Probably while you’re reading this, I’m making strawberries and cream pie. Future Prim definitely inspires food urges in me. I’ve been using this exclusively as shampoo with Clotted Peach Cream as my conditioner. My shower smells like strawberries and peaches, and it is phenomenal. I am loving every minute of it.

Wild Grass & Quince Jam

Wild prairie grass, sweet earth, a balmy summer breeze, warm sunshine and the aroma of quince fruits gently ripening in the orchards.
This is a great, simple scent. It smells almost spicy. I knew what quince was in theory but had no idea in practicality. Quince is a relative of the apple and pear. With a brief Google search, I found that it is sometimes described as smelling like pineapple. I can understand where the idea comes from. There is a tang to this soap that very obviously doesn’t come from the grass smell, so it must come from the quince, right? And it does seem to be the case. This is a great vegetal smell that I’m really enjoying.

Kristin adds: The description on this one is perfect. I have it in a scrub and it has a strong grassy note that's kind of like a fresh mowed lawn. But right on top if it, there's an additional sweet note that I can only believe must be quince - whatever that is - but I have a hard time believing that there's a fruit that exists that smells so sweet. Perhaps it's the sugar in the scrub that I'm smelling but the sweet note does remind me of sugar.

We made a castle.

Final Thoughts

There’s so little to say- this is another amazing round of scents from a company that I’m really enjoying. Have you tried Future Prim, summer scents or no? Let us know in the comments and what you thought of them. We’d love to hear from you!


Bonus! 
AG Reviews Future Prim's Bubbling Sugar Scrub in Clotted Peach!

On a scale from 1 to super scrubby, Future Prim's Bubbling Sugar Scrub is about a 3 - not especially scrubby. Fortunately, what it lacks in scrubbing power in makes up in moisture.

I find scrubs often contain surfactants and can end up being somewhat drying, but with this one, I leave the shower feeling like I have a super thin layer of oil on my skin where I used the scrub - a very good thing given how dry my skin is! The layer of oil absorbs quickly and my skin feels pretty happy afterward, though not quite moisturized enough to forego my usual post-shower dose of lotion.

All that said, I definitely prefer Haus of Gloi's Emulsifying Scrub, since it gives me tons of moisture while also making me feel like I've scrubbed away all my itchy dead skin.

The scent is my favorite thing about this product - Jessye Bubbles very kindly passed on her mini in Clotted Peaches, and it's a fantastic juicy peach scent. It reminds me a lot of a Body Shop perfume in Fuzzy Peach that was in my household as a kid. I got a burst of scent while using it, then got little whiffs of it for the rest of the shower. So lovely!

0 comments:

Post a Comment