Thursday, August 13, 2015

By Kristin


I came across Digital Soaps at Geek Girl Con last year in Seattle. It's one of the smaller nerdy conventions in the area (at least compared to the big dogs of PAX and Sakura-Con) but I'm pretty okay with less bodies being smashed together - also one of the booths was handing out macarons.

At such a small convention, I was surprised to see some of the bigger Etsy vendors - theGorgonist who did the Hobbit art for the Shiro collection for instance - but it was a pretty nice spread across the indie world. I couldn't resist when I spotted these Pokemon themed soaps.

Packaging: 

Soaps all came individually shrink-wrapped and some products (like the Soapemon below) came in specific packaging.

Selection: 

I'll be honest. I bought the Pokeball soap because the guy told me that there was a Pokemon inside. Yep. I have to assume that there are at least 151 different options but you don't get to decide which one you get. If you're a completionist, this might be a problem for you.

Rapidash!
They have soaps in game cartridge type across the standard gaming brands as well as in controller form - these are sized comparatively to the real things and make for really large soaps. Round soaps come in Pokeball, Dragon Ball, and the dog from Adventure Time shape. And for a very high price point, you can get a Pokeball with a sterling silver Mew or Mewtoo.

Unlike many other indie shops, Digital Soaps offers only one scent option for each soap design. I imagine that this makes inventory much easier but at the same time, if you don't like soda scented things, none of the Soapemon cartridges will work for you.

Oddly, not all of the listings say what the scent is. Like this one - it lists fragrance and color under the ingredients but not what the fragrance is.

They also have soda-themed (both scented and bottled in soda bottles) shampoos, bath gels, and conditioners. I think this concept is really neat but I haven't tried any of them so have no idea how well they function. And bacon soap.

Samples: 

None.

Quality: 

I get the feeling that these soaps are marketed more for the physical appeal than anything else. The soaps are nice but they aren't anything particularly amazing, especially for the price point (which I'll cover more in the section below). That said, the amount of detail that goes into the soaps' physical appearance makes them excellent gifts for nerdy people. They all look incredibly realistic (with the exception of the bacon soap).

However, due to their size, they do last for a very long time.

Cost:

On the more expensive side though most of the soaps are definitely larger than average.

Customer Service: 

The guy that I talked to was nice. We chatted a bit about his product spread and he was very gracious when I handed him money.

TAT: 

According to their Policies page, items are made to order. They list their TAT as up to 10 business days. I don't have any experience with this since I picked up my stuff at the convention.

Shipping: 

Same as above.

Personal Thoughts:

Cute and nifty but I think I'm kind of on the spoiled side when it comes to soaps. I want the whole package. Soaps that look cool but are also amazing on the hands. They don't have to promise me plastic surgery or anything but I guess I like a product with a little more substance? But with that said, I know a few people who these would make perfect stocking stuffers for and they'll make great gateways to the indie soap world /evil laughter.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, follow us on Pinterest, and/or follow us on BlogLovin to get all of our updates!

0 comments:

Post a Comment