Wednesday, July 17, 2013

By AG
Hi everyone! Today I'd like to tell you about Silk Naturals, an indie company based in NY, USA. In case the title didn't make it clear, I have a ton of love and praise for this company so far, so I'm excited to share my thoughts on the brand.
Let's start with an overview of the company. Silk Naturals (link to their store here) is based in the United States. I learned about them through them through Nouveau Cheap's list of Naked Palette dupes (link here), various indie blog reviews, and reddit.com/r/skincareddiction (link here). Silk Naturals makes and sells their own eyeshadows (loose and cream), lip products (color products and balm), powder base products including foundation, powder and cream blushes, powder bronzer and highlighter (called "glow"), and skincare (all manner of face products plus some bath and body).
Selection: fantastic. You'll find eyeshadows in every color, finish, and opacity. You'll find shadow, lip color, and blush clones of some beloved products from mainstream brands, which is great for budget-minded and cruelty free consumers alike. You don't often see indies offering great skincare and cream products, so I really appreciate the variety.

Silk Naturals products from top to bottom: Cream Blush in "Panache", Kisser Slicker in "Temptation", Organic Lipstick in "Crimson"

Vegan shopping experience: fantastic. I haven't checked every single product listing, but from the many I've viewed, every product appears to have a full ingredients list and is marked as vegan or not vegan in each page's list of product attributes. Additionally, each category can be filtered to show only vegan products. I think vegan consumers will be very happy to shop here!
Customer service: N/A. I had no issues whatsoever, and therefore had no opportunity to experience their customer service.
TAT: mind-bogglingly fast. For both of my orders, I believe I had the package in my hands in under a week. That includes packing the order and shipping it across the country. I am seriously impressed.


Silk Naturals sample sized Brow Cream in "Medium Brown"


Availability of samples: samples are not available for most makeup products, but the brand explains their reasoning for this decision in the FAQ and I think it makes a lot of sense. They state that they used to offer samples; they found that creating them takes ton of time, and they would rather spend that time getting orders out quickly. In exchange, they offer returns within 30 days for store credit for all the products for which they do not offer samples. This works just fine for me, because a) they DO offer samples on skincare, which I feel is critical and b) the full sizes of makeup products are below my "cheap enough to take a gamble" threshold - $4 for most full-sized eyeshadows, $4.50 for most cream blushes, and $4.50 to $6 for most lip products. Note that samples are available for brow products, powder blushes, foundation, and skincare.

Bonuses: one free loose powder eyeshadow or lip balm for purchases over $30, plus free samples with every order, as of writing this post.

From left to right: Silk Naturals full sized Eye Color in "Magpie" (Disclosure: Free shadow of my choice with my order over $30) and sample sized Eye Color in "Anywhere" (Disclosure: Free sample with my order)


What I love: My favorite products so far are...
  • Their lipsticks, especially their vegan, cruelty free clone of MAC's Russian Red, called "Crimson" 
  • The Smooth & Full Lip Treatment, which is quite possibly the best balm I've ever used
  • Their cream blushes, the formula for which works beautifully on my dry to very dry skin
  • Their skincare, especially their Argan & Goji Berry moisturizer and their 2% BHA toner 
I can't wait to review individual products for you! For now, here are some sneak peeks at upcoming reviews...

Silk Naturals cream blush in "Candy Apple" applied heavily and blended out at lower half
Silk Naturals lip products from left to right: Kisser Slickers in "Temptation" and "Foreplay", Organic Lipstick in "Crimson", Vegan Lip Gloss in "Verve"

0 comments:

Post a Comment