Sunday, September 4, 2016

By Unknown

Frostbeard Studios Candle Soy Wax Tart
Purchased

Frostbeard Studios

I ran out of candles. Again. So obviously I had to buy more. I have seen a lot about Frostbeard Studios, specifically all those geeky names. So exciting! I tried to curb my spending, I swear. It didn’t work so great, but that means more candles for you to read all about!

I made sure to grab some wax tarts too. I recently bought a new wax tart warmer that allows for multiple bricks; I could probably fit a whole pack if I wanted to. I have not figured out how long it takes these to melt- I have not managed to melt any of these to a point of lacking scent.

The candles state they last about 65 hours- I think mine lasted about 40? I didn’t watch it as closely this time; I’ve only gotten through one and I accidentally left it lit overnight. When I derp, I derp hard. Even still, it lasted much shorter than the 65 hour advertised time but I also burn my candles for 8-12 hours at a time instead of the recommended 4 hour chunks.

I haven’t managed to burn through any of the others, despite trying. Candles + portable AC unit = potential fire hazard.

Onto the scents!


Soy Candles

Cliffs of Insanity

Sea mist, Caribbean teakwood
This is surprisingly a little cloying. It’s very oceanic, but it’s a little too sweet for my tastes. After a couple of hours, there is enough scent from this candle for me to last the day. I do really enjoy it, but in very small bursts. I was surprised at how strong the scent is from these two notes.

I’m having a lot of problems describing this. It’s supposed to be so simple! It’s two notes, but it’s neither salty nor woody. It’s definitely a water scent, but it’s not a traditional water scent.

Mr J says it smells like, “bonfire on a high cliff above crashing waves during a zombie attack in Maine.” High praise from him. I’m assuming the bonfire comes from the burnt wick. I’m not sure where the zombie attack came from, but there it is. It’s a pretty good image.

Purchase Link


Lallybroch

Whiskey, Peat Moss, Woodsmoke
I’m afraid to burn this candle. I’m not going to lie. I am terrified to burn this candle. This candle is freaking stinky just when I open the jar that I am afraid to burn it. This smells like a really sweet whiskey with hints of smoke. Like a whiskey, you can smell the hints of citrus and oak barrel once you get beyond the burning hoarking smell of whiskey in that first moment. It’s going to be a wonderful candle when it’s cold out. And I’m betting if you love that tang of whiskey and all the little intricacies that go with it, this is going to be a wonderful scent for you.

Purchase Link


Oxford Library

Oakmoss, Amber, Sandalwood, Leather
This smelled like the worst sort of leather ever when it first got to me. I was not looking forward to burning this candle when I first got my hands on it. Once it settled, it was wonderful. Smooth leather and amber. This was such a treat to burn- it’s the only one I’ve finished so far. My whole apartment smelled like wonderful fresh leather, like a new handbag or shoes. I clearly have my priorities straight. ^.^

Purchase Link


Sassenach

Lavender, Thyme, Basil and herbs
This is such a bright, fresh scent. Definitely one of my kitchen scents, but manages to extend beyond just being a kitchen scent. All these herbs bring with them an undernote that sustains them and brings to them something almost dark. This is the one I have gotten the farthest through after Oxford Library. It’s a lovely clear scent that just makes my apartment smell so inviting. It smells like I’m cooking something fresh with plenty of herbs and it’s just waiting for a taste. I love when my apartment smells like happy.

Purchase Link


Soy Wax Tarts

Sherwood Forest

Cedarwood, Moss, Pine
I would not have guessed cedar was in this. Cedar is usually such a strong scent for me, and I don’t smell it here. I do smell A LOT of pine and woodsy undergrowth. It’s a fantastical forest scent that is probably even better when it’s cold out, but it’s still been pretty damn awesome in the hot weather. I’m sitting here, racking my brain for that cedar scent- it’s actually hanging out in my warmer and turned on right now while I’m writing this, but I still smell just wonderful pine and undergrowth. And this is PINE, not a synthetic blah that smells like a sprayed down Christmas tree, but the real stuff, out in a forest, surrounded by pine trees PINE. It’s awesome.

Purchase Link


Wibbley Wobbley Timey Wimey

Driftwood, Black Currant Tea, Juniper
This is a surprisingly fruity marriage of black currant and juniper. But it’s sweet, not tart. I actually have a friend who is incredibly scent sensitive- I don’t burn anything or wear any kind of perfume when she comes over, and she loves this scent. It’s a pretty simple scent in its complexities, and definitely subtler than the others I bought, though still a very strong scent in its own right. It’s very smooth and sweet. I overdosed on it pretty quickly when I left it on too long, but it’ll definitely roll back around to a scent I want to smell again.

Purchase Link


Final Thoughts

These are amazing candles that are all scented strongly enough to ensure that you smell what you purchased. It’s wonderful that they have found a way to scent their candles so well. I’ve already been eyeing a couple more (Wordsmith anyone?), and will definitely bring them to the blog for review if I do. Have you tried these book-lovers candles? What are your thoughts? Let us know in the comments!

0 comments:

Post a Comment