Monday, September 26, 2016

By Unknown


Future Primitive 
Autumn 2016 Review

Last year when Future Prim’s Autumn release rolled around, I was trying to not spend a ton of money so I only bought a bar of soap and some perfume samples. This year, I had a better idea of what I wanted, but still managed to only buy a few things. It’s bath season, and I have more soap and lotion than I’m pretty sure I can get through. So I bought bathing grains! All in Pumpkin ‘Ead and Bell, Book and Candle. Bell, Book and Candle was originally part of the Autumn release cycle but as of this year has been moved to General Catalogue.

I also got a sample of Owlett’s End. So I thought we could go over all of these again. I have noticed some differences between this year and last year, probably mostly due to the fact that these are all in different products from last year. Let’s smell things!

Pumpkin ‘Ead

Earthy, sun-warmed pumpkin flesh, dry cider apple & pear nectar finished with an Autumn spice syrup.
Last year, when I used this as bar soap, it was just a magical shower of mulled cider happiness. It was phenomenal and wonderful and everything I could want in an autumn scent, and I was so disappointed I didn’t manage to get my hands on more things in this smell.

This year, I planned on getting a couple bags of bathing grains and a lotion. But then I found out Bell, Book and Candle was coming to GC and would be in stock at the same time. That was so much more important as a lotion than Pumpkin ‘Ead. I really love jasmine. So I only bought bathing grains. And I’m kind of glad I did.

Until last year, I had been under the impression that I loved autumn and pumpkins and apples and clove and allspice and all those autumn scents. Turns out I love all of those things EXCEPT pumpkin. I don’t think I’ve ever actually smelled pumpkin until a Blooddrop perfume last year. It’s kind of gross, guys. It has the most naturally occurring gourmand scent without vanilla in it that I’ve ever smelled. I guess what I really love is mulled cider and falling leaves.

Turns out, the bathing grains feature pumpkin quite prominently at the top of the scent. I was very unhappy. But it turns out, it’s actually quite pleasant once the autumn spices blend into it. I wouldn’t say I love this scent as much as I did last year, but it is a wonderful autumn scent that I’m glad I’m bathing in. I’ve used it so much: my first bag is almost gone.

Bell, Book & Candle

Mystical aromas of subtle patchouli leaf, seductive trails of night blooming jasmine, a swish of blonde sandalwood & sweet arabian musk.
Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasmiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnne. That is all.

(To expound: this is the headiest, most wonderfulest jasmine I have ever smelled. It is like a perfect high end jasmine scent without the high end cost. I don’t even care that I can’t smell the rest of it. It is glorious. I have not detected a scent change between products or between this year’s and last year’s products. Just glorious, glorious jasmine.)

Owlett’s End

A barley field long past its cutting date, an empty old house, simmering black tea, clary sage & coriander leaves, nutmeg dust, cinnamon sticks, sticky dark orange oil, blackened cardamom pods, and dried tears.
So I bought this last year as a perfume sample. I remember having problems with all of the perfumes samples last year, which admittedly was probably more on me than on the perfumes. I get impatient sometimes; and when top notes really don’t work for me, I often won’t give them time to dry down. I was actually pretty excited to see this as my sample. In theory, it sounds really interesting, and I just didn’t get a good chance with it last year.

In actuality, I discovered I don’t like cardamom. There has always been something about chai that has caused me pause. I can now officially say it’s the cardamom. This has a lovely milky chai scent, and people who love those chai tea scents- this is a great lotion to get. It lacks the astringency of most tea scents but also isn’t overspiced. I’m passing off my sample to AG because she loves tea scents and particularly loves those chai lattes, so I think this will be a perfect match for her.

Final Thoughts

I wanted to readdress these scents, partially either the scents have evolved from last year, or because they have some scent change between products. Also- BB&C is life.

I’m really looking forward to more autumn scents and sharing them with you. Hopefully, we’ll have some perfume samples from HoG of Samhain II and Hex. And remember to check out my Instagram, where I will be sharing my favorite Blooddrop decant from the collection of decants I just received in the mail!

Don’t forget, we’ve got Blooddrop bath and body release and Solstice Scents’ Autumn release to look forward to! Oh! And Part 2 for HoG and FP!

0 comments:

Post a Comment